Drain run?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Virtual Voodoo, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Virtual Voodoo

Virtual Voodoo New Member

Would there be room to drop a 40mm shower waste from a shallow double shower tray straight in to the top of a 100mm waste which will run directly beneath where the tray will go?

The joist depth is 230mm and nothings installed yet so was just wondering if there is enough height/clearance or whether it would be better to locate the drain adjacent to the double shower tray

2. tgs

tgs New Member

Not sure if the 100mm (110mm?) soil pipe is horizontal or vertical. If it is horizontal then unless you can fit the boss above the halfway level on the pipe I would run the waste pipe along-side the soil until it goes vertical or joins the stack.

3. rome60

rome60 New Member

VV,If the 110mm is collecting a WC further upstream,provided you can get the required fall you need about 65mm with a clip boss & swivel elbow on top of the 110mm;)

4. Virtual Voodoo

Virtual Voodoo New Member

Yes romeo that's what I'm trying to work out!

I'm not sure if it's best to have the two WC's in line with each other in the different rooms so that running the 110mm pipe between two joists ensures both WC's just drop straight in from the top and having the shower and handbasin wastes run parralel in 40mm and then exit at the side of the house and then join up with the main stack using a boss.

My worry was getting a good enough flow using 40mm over that distance (5.5M) which is why I as wondering if I could drop in to te 110mm inside to aid flow.

If both showers are running simultaneously in the morning then I don't want the shower trays filling up due to flow restrictions in the drain.

Both will be fed from pressurised cylinders BTW

5. rome60

rome60 New Member

VV,Difficult to visulise the layout of showers,basin & WCs.If you connect into the 110mm the boss must go into the top of the pipe not in the side,reason being a horizontal run.The shower is a long run i should keep it separate & run it in 50m & clip it well take it into the stack outside & put an access tee on before dropping,so you can rod back up the pipe.Use long radius bends not knuckle elbows,also don"t put basins wastes into shower waste avoid washback& syphonage.;)

6. The South

The South Member

Would there be room to drop a 40mm shower waste from
    a shallow double shower tray straight in to the top
    of a 100mm waste which will run directly beneath
    where the tray will go?

The joist depth is 230mm and nothings installed yet
    so was just wondering if there is enough
    height/clearance or whether it would be better to
    locate the drain adjacent to the double shower tray

I've done this. I have a 4" pipe running between the joists. Toilet waste drops in at about 2 feet away from the sealed end, ie the high point of the 4" pipe, and at that same high end I have two boss connections, one for bath and one for power shower.

Its worked very well, bath empties in less than a minute, and any potential problems with soil waste from toilet getting stuck are removed because bath wastes clears it all out.

I found it fairly easy to get the right falls in the two 40mm pipes, although I did need to raise bath by 1"

Good luck