Drainage help needed please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Pestle, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Pestle

Pestle New Member

Hi I’m currently doing an extension I’ve got a few questions but I’ll keep them seperate , question 1 ,
    I need to move my soil stack outside about 6 ft to the right , am I ok to tee into a second soil pipe via a new Y branch fitting then disuse the original pipe ? The pipe I’m planning on teeing into runs to my downstairs toilet ? Is it an issue having two toilets to the same pipe etc etc
    68E4006C-5177-4382-8C62-EA29D4A4607C.jpeg

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You should be OK but check if BC will be happy. I would out a rodding access in the stack.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Would have thought easier running new stack straight into MH

4. Pestle

Pestle New Member

I did consider doing that but how would you go about linking it up within the manhole ? It’s a brick manhole with cement inside ?

5. Pestle

Pestle New Member

Can you just knock a brick or two out and push the pipe through then cement around ?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

No not issue running two toilets into same pipe.

Will the soil pipe be vented?

I do think it would be a better job if the whole section of pipe is replaced, and not just a connector from clay to plastic, unless you use clay.

Not going to be easier but a better job overall, and assured that its all new pipe into the manhole.

7. Pestle

Pestle New Member

Yeah I will be venting the soil stack above and the original pipes are plastic aswell not clay

8. Pestle

Pestle New Member

I was hoping to cut the pipe put on Y fitting then put pipe back on which then runs into manhole , only trouble is it’s all cemented in so may have to chip away some to get pipe to move then cement back around again

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

oh in that case just cut and connect onto the existing pipe.

Not going to be any easy job to break up the concrete as will be strong.

10. Pestle

Pestle New Member

Yeah that’s what I was thinking cut pipe and put in the new fitting , only trouble I can think of is that I will need one part of the original pipe to be able to move to be able to slide into new fitting so may have to break concrete under manhole so that 3ft lenth will then slide ? That’s my thinking ?

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Should be ok.

Once you dig the trench there will be a play with the pipework, so can be lifted up so you can get the fitting on and the pipe against the wall with clips. Install access branch as well for rodding purposes.

Use a rest bend on the main stack.

With the ground floor toilet, position the T branch with the inlet raised , so there is a step, this will avoid the inner section from getting blocked.

12. Pestle

Pestle New Member

13. Pestle

Pestle New Member

Is having a ridding point essential would you say as I had thought of putting the screw on access fitting at the bottom off stack for rodding similar to what’s already there

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Screw on access plug is more than adequate, I think this is what I meant.

[​IMG]

15. Pestle

Pestle New Member

Yeah that’s what I was planning on doing , excellent sounds like a plan , main query was if two toilets into one pipe was ok so all sounds good to me , I’ll mention it to building control tommorw as there out to check foundations anyway

16. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Hi, you're supposed to fit an access chamber where there's a junction, pretty sure building regs state this so building control would probably pick up on that. Not a big job to do, you'd just need a small access chamber instead of the junction or you could branch the 2nd toilet into the new soil stack and just have the one connection underground

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Didn't think of that.

If the ground floor WC can exit out the wall than its better to connect into the main stack above ground level.

18. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

We ain’t half making this complicated, move the soil stack, excavate from stack to manhole picking up the original pipe run, you can have a bend right at the manhole and that’s how you connect the moved run ;)

Pestle likes this.
  19. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Just breakout the benching and a bit of the mh wall, cut back the existing pipe back to mh wall if need be to make more room , put new run in and then re build mh wall and rebench. to suit. Simpler than trying to excavate around original pipe and make new connection, probably faster as well.

20. Pestle

Pestle New Member

Thanks for all reply’s and ideas , I’ll see what building control say today , I’ll suggest just teeing in and then you can rod via original manhole and via the screw on access at the bottom of stack