Drainage

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by RCDD, Nov 26, 2003.

1. RCDD

RCDD New Member

I am currently having building work carried out on my house which involves the erection of a new external cavity wall around the perimeter of the existing structure. The rain water and soil vent pipes etc require to be repositioned to suit the new external footprint of the house. The existing pipe work has been removed and the builder has (I hope temporarily) installed new bends into the existing gully positions, this means that the new foundations have been laid around them and the new blockwork built over them. Can anyone confirm that the new down pipes should be connected to repositioned gullys outside the external footprint.

Thanks in anticipation

2. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

[Can anyone confirm that the new down pipes should be connected to repositioned gullys outside the external footprint.] - Yes they should

The only pipe that would have been 'built over' is the svp, the s/w drains would start on the exterior of the building and terminate at either a sw manhole else a soakaway.

The svp must be tested and confirm that all the connections to it are either sound or disconnected to be reconnected when the pipe is extended or shortened to accommodate the new building work. There must be a lintel installed in the footing(s) where the sv pipe passes through them.

It is strongly advised to replace any vitrified clay soil vent pipe with plastic under the house floor as these are more flexible and would be more tolerant to settlement in the building.

3. RCDD

RCDD New Member

Cheers Charlie,

All the existing gulleys are external at present so no need for the SVP to run under the building. I have had a word with the guys and they will be replacing the 4" Clay as a matter of course, so hopefuly problem solved.

Thanks
    Steve

P.S Should I ask building control to visit before the works are covered?

4. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

It may be necessary as a regional issue but check well before completion with the local council but what is very, VERY important is that the svp to foul outlet is tested, because if it has even a small leak, by the time it gets discovered will have made a hell of a mess and problems may arise in getting rid of contaminated soils around the leaking area as well as repairing the leak.

Drains (or sewers) whether foul or surface water are sometimes given minor attention because they are buried and forgotten. Problems aren't quickly identified but the problems the leaks cause are ususlly very expensive to rectify so be sure they are right at the outset.

Charlie

;)

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

a pet irritance please note spelling of gully and gullies there is no "e"....X-(

6. RCDD

RCDD New Member

Sorry Unphased

The thought of my drains backing up with **** must have been more important at the time of writing, how stupid of me.

Hope this helps to put things right.

I must learn to spell, before asking for advice.

I can't manage detention tonight as the **** is coming back again.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You are very welcome

Good spelling is a sign of intelligence

If you look closely you will see a button marked "spell check" just above the message box...try USING IT

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

WELL SFC SPELL CHECK MUST BE AS THICK AS ****!!! or... its set to american....either way the same effect...

BR

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

just like to see gully and gullies spelt correctly thats all

gully
    gully
    gully
    gully
    gully
    gully
    gully
    gully

ok RCsd or whatever your *in name is

gulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgulliesgullies

10. RCDD

RCDD New Member

Shouldn't there be another * and a g in F*ing?

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

no its "s o d" in name...sorry about the g