Draining Heating System - Vaillant Ecotec

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by LukeSki11, Aug 31, 2021.

1. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Hi all,

I’ve removed a couple of rads but i’m now looking to install new rads and TRV’s which would mean isolating/draining the system.

Even though I had removed the rads, when i open the valve upstairs water still gushes out (i expected it not too given i’d removed a couple but obviously not!)

So question is with my boiler/tank system how do I go about isolating and draining? And then in reverse refilling as i’m not seeing a filling loop , then again I’m probably being blind!

Help appreciated!

thanks

2. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Photos

Attached Files:

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Have a look in your loft ,you should find two tanks. The small one feeds your boiler / central heating, called an f&e tank ( feed & expansion). The cold feed to that needs to be isolated to enable drain down.
    The larger tank feeds your hot water cylinder.

4. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Thanks, is it likely the gate valve at the back of the cylinder is the one feeding up to the Tank?

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No it's not likely. Gate valves are notorious for failing ,either not closing fully ,or dont open after closing. I would advise you not to touch any of them !!
    The cold water is mains fed to the loft tanks ,and there could be isolation valves near the tanks. Failing that you could tie up the tanks ball cock

6. LukeSki11

LukeSki11 Member

Excellent, Ta!

so given its mains fed is my heating system being constantly ’filled’ as such?

so isolate water, drain from lowest point and then continue to fit?

Sorry for the questions

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes,sort of. Once the system is filled the ballcock closes and the water in the tank keeps the system full.
    Before draining down,inspect the f&e tank for cleanliness. If need be ,clean it before draining down ,to prevent crud from getting into the system.
    When draining from lowest point,vent all upstairs rads ( using the radiators bleed valve )this allows air into system to aid draining.
    You should ,of course,electrically isolate the boiler / central heating controls.
    When work is done and ready to fill up add inhibitor.