Draining Heating system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by CoNfUsEdDIYers, Dec 7, 2022.

1. CoNfUsEdDIYers

CoNfUsEdDIYers New Member

Hi,

So I am looking to permanently remove a rad from the ground floor. However I cant find a drain off valve on any of my rads in any room.

Where else could it be or does it not have one? If it doesn't have one how do I drain the system

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Where have you looked? Proper place is an outside wall but often it might be next (pipe leading up to) to a radiator that’s near a door or window.

You also need to know what type of system you have so it’s not constantly attempting to fill while you attempt to drain.

In the very worst case gently slacken the connection to the rad at the lowest point Very messy as water will not pour out cleanly but run along the pipe making collection tricky.

3. CoNfUsEdDIYers

CoNfUsEdDIYers New Member

looked on all of the visible pipes and its no where to be found. I have looked around the boiler and no sign of it, there is a copper pipe that runs from the boiler directly outside there is no fitting on that pipe simply an unsealed pipe that stops 3 ft above the ground.

I have a valiant combi boiler, but I was planning on turning the boiler and mains stopcock off before removing.

Would I be able to use a freeze kit, remove the section of pipe leading under the floor and then cap it off beneath the floor boards ?

4. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

To drain down where no drain cocks fitted.

1. Locate a radiator on the ground floor convenient for a run of garden hose to outside foul drain.
    2. Turn off boiler.
    3. If you have a Feed and Expansion (F&E) tank (small tank in loft):
    3a. Shut off the water supply to the tank.
    3b. Bail the water out of it and clean it. Otherwise any sludge will get washed into your heating system.
    4. On selected radiator:
    4a. Turn off both radiator valves. Count the number of 1/8 turns required to shut the lock shield, so that it can be returned t its original position to maintain system balance.
    4b. Bleed any remaining pressure from the radiator via the bleed screw.
    4c. Undo the nut securing one of the valves to the radiator. (NOT the valve securing the valve to the pipe). Drain the water out of the radiator into a baking tray or similar. Protect surrounding surfaces as the water may be black, and if so will stain anything in sight. Old towels also very useful.
    4d. Slacken (but do not undo) the nut holding that radiator valve to the pipes, and swivel the valve through 90 degrees so that its open end faces away from the wall.
    4e. Attach a hosepipe to the open end of the valve using insulating tape or similar. Wrap plenty round the hose and around the valve.
    4f. Open the valve and let the water drain through the hosepipe to a foul drain outside.