Draught Proofing with expanding foam - Possible damp issues?

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Raj Virdee, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Raj Virdee

Raj Virdee New Member

Hi Guys,

This is one of my first posts so bare with me.
    I think this is the most appropriate places to post this question but if not please re-direct me.

Situation is:
    I just had the kitchen renovated: a solid wall built house originally which has been battened and plasterboarded over the top to insulated the walls.

At the bottom of the plasterboard where it meets the floor - there is a gap which i have heard is needed to prevent bridging any damp from the DPC travelling up the walls.

The floor was res-creeded after plastering (uneven floor issues) leaving quite a big gap between the floor and plasterboard, which is causing significant draught.

There is no skirting behind the kitchen units and you feel the draught coming through under the plinths of the kitchen units.

Is it possible to use expanding foam to cover these gaps or could that create an obstruction in ventilation and causing damp issues?
    I would assume that since there are 3 windows/doors that would allow ventilation, I'm just not sure about if there needs to be ventilation between the plasterboard and brick wall?

Any help or feasible alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Roger

2. Raj Virdee

Raj Virdee New Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I would really appreciate any constructive help if anyone has an idea.

3. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

PU foam is waterproof so no moisture will transition through it.