Drayton TRV Always Breaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dustymil59, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Dustymil59

Dustymil59 New Member

I've got one Drayton TRV4 head that constantly breaks, I've replaced the head three times, which is costly since you have to buy the whole valve :(. It breaks where the metal ring joins to the valve body, I've checked and double checked it's fitted ok, not over tightened, same one every time. Any ideas what's causing this would be welcomed.

All the others in the house are the originals and are fine, just this one breaking constantly.

2. Chauncey86

Chauncey86 New Member

Don't want to tell you how to back eggs but are you putting it on correctly?,often with TRV heads yiu have to open them up fully then press them firmly down onto the pin them tighten the nut area.

3. Sushant

Sushant New Member

I am experiencing the same problem. I have already replaced the head 3 times and it has broken again.
    I don’t know what exactly is causing the issue. If anybody knows please let me know

thanks

4. Dustymil59

Dustymil59 New Member

You'll have to excuse me but I cannot remember exactly the reason why, but I called Drayton and they said that the problem was with the Rad valve body send to replace it. I did this and not had the problem since.

I hope this helps.

5. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Take the head off and with a spanner or something push down on the pin and it should move reasonably easily. Try it on another valve first to get the feel. If it doesn't then its the valve body.

By the way you can buy heads only on SF.

6. Simon M Turner

Simon M Turner New Member

This has now happened to me twice (three times if you count the original valve). The valve body pin moves... probably about 2mm. I've no idea if this is the correct amount it should move though... or how to help it move the correct amount if it is not (really don't want to have to drain the system to replace the valve).

7. 8768b

8768b New Member

We have Drayton TRV4 - looked great almost 14 years ago paid around 45 quid each they are the a load of BS

Which TRV4 would you recommend - is Myson the best?