Drayton TRV4 problems

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Jonny F, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Jonny F

Jonny F New Member

Hi. I’ve just renovated a house and put a new heating system in and have fitted chrome Drayton TRV4 valves but the valves only seem to work fully when head is removed - which defeats the object of a TRV! When they are set to 3-max the radiator heats up well initially when boiler first strikes up but once they are up to the required temperature (as per rad valve setting) they shut off and do not come on again. If set to 3 and then open to max it will come on and heat up for a short time but then do the same. Even when set to max they shut off and don’t come back on again even when room is clearly requiring heat. I’m a plumber by trade but been out the game for best part of 15 years. I have fitted the odd TRV4 in the past but not aware of any problems. I haven’t tried the balancing tool yet but have one on order. The radiators are acova column style if that makes a difference??? Thanks

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Terrible valves in my opinion.
    Are you sure that number 3 is max setting?
    There might be a max lock pin in the valve heads?
    It will be normal for the valve to stay off, once heat setting reached

3. Jonny F

Jonny F New Member

Sorry my poor explanation. I mean when it is set between 3 and max (max probably being 6)

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

May be a good idea to place a thermometer next to the trv and compare actual temperature to trv operating temperature.
    Could be a faulty batch of trv heads.

Obviously at this time of year with the heating on the trv if set at 3 will cut in fairly quickly but if set at 5 it should stay on for a good while if there’s a heating demand.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member