Drill Advice

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Ieuan, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Ieuan

Ieuan New Member

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It depends on what you expect to do with them, if you think you will be drilling lots of brickwork/concrete then I would go you second choice and buy a corded SDS drill/18v drill driver.;)

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As Phil say's it depends. I can't see the point of an impact driver, a drill and a combi drill in 14.4V. The combi in hammer mode can only deal with block or soft brick, why carry an extra drill when the combi will drill. The screwdriver will be fine but the batteries are a bit pants.
    Unless you are drilling a lot of holes into masonry an 18V Li ion will cover you for most things.

koolpc likes this.
  4. Ieuan

Ieuan New Member

Thank you, its a valid point regarding the three drills and I think the one drill would never be used.
    Is there many added benefits in purchasing an impact driver?

5. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Impact driver helps with screwing into hard wood, impact driver moves in a special way that helps with screwing. It rapidly drive forward and reverse. So if u r planning to do lots of hard wood screwing, then impact driver will help u immensely.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you drill lots of holes and then have to put screws/bolts in them? If not then no.

7. Ieuan

Ieuan New Member

Has anyone had any experience with ryobi. I'm not a tradesmen so wont be using the drill all the time, however I do want it to perform when I use it, plus my concern is the battery if only using a couple of times a month will the battery last or lose its charge?

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ryobi gets my vote for diy
    there are over 35 tools for the home and garden for the 18v one plus system

9. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Ryobi are good for simple basic DIYists, but for heavy jobs, then it a gamble as some Ryobi can be awesome for some and terrible at times for others. As for battery charge, always go for Li-ion battery than Ni-Cd battery as Li-ion holds the charge better and gives out steady charge over time and last longer. Good thing about Ryobi is 1 battery many tools, so you can over time builds up your Ryobi collection for your basic around the house DIY with 2 or 3 Li-ion battery. 1 in use while other 2 recharge so you have a good all day or 2 non-stop (almost) use of the tools. However 1 small drawback is Ryobi can be alittle expensive and there can be other tools that can do the same job for half the price or thereabouts.

But as with all rechargeable batteries, it will lose charge slowly over period of time, so it is always best to re-charge before doing your jobs. If you are storing it for long period of time between uses always disconnect the battery from the power tool itself rather than leaving it in the power tools.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Stanle Fatmax 18v Combi is worth a look. I have one in the van and it performs well and is cheap as chips

ProFast Plastering likes this.
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I needed an occasional use cordless drill, screwdriver and jigsaw and after Biggies big ups I decided to give the Ryobi+1 18V thingy a try. Appalling battery life and charge time. If you want to spend most of your time on a job chatting and drinking tea this is the tool for you, if you want to crack on and get to the pub buy a fast charge 3Ah Li-ion Makita.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Mate in the cheaper end of the pro tools the Fatmax range is pretty good. I have all kinds of cordless kit but my main everyday tool is a Dewalt brushless impact driver. Followed by a pair of 10.8v Fatmax drill driver and little impact driver and a Fatmax 18v combi. Much better than the ryobi.

13. Phil the Paver

Can't keep the Red wine waiting can we. :p

Failing that, buy a drill with two batteries, so ones always on charge.;)

ProFast Plastering likes this.
  14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My main Makita Li gear I have 3 batteries, the Ryobi , words I can't say on SF, batteries lasted 20 mins but took 2 1/2 hours to charge. I took a risk on them because my tools had been stolen for the second time in a year and I was ****** off with pikeys getting good tools.

15. Phil the Paver

2.5 hrs to charge, my god no wonder you thought is was ****.

16. Wood u believe it

Wood u believe it New Member

I just purchased the new ryobi brushless drill with 2 x 5ah batteries , all for £208 at BnQ , what more to say it is maybe twice as powerful as the old version , this is one hell of a powerfull beast , its will be up to standard for on site use , from me its a 5 stars

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

thread archaeology again!

KIAB likes this.
  18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Ryobi was pants when i had one

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Love my Makita DHP481RTJ (18v Brushless Combi / 2 x 5.0amp Batteries / Charger / Makpac). Cost £300, the batteries last forever and it can do anything I throw at it. Except drill big screws, so I bought a cheap brushed Makita Impact driver for that.

The Makita LED torch gets used more though, probably the best purchase of the lot.