Drill chuck replacement...will this chuck fit?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by uncle buck, Apr 11, 2008.

1. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Hi,
    I would like to replace the chuck on my Bosch GSR 14.4-2 drill but I can't seem to find any information on what size spindle the drill has.

I would like to use this Dewalt chuck if it would fit:
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77160/Drill-Bits/Chucks/DeWalt-Keyless-Chuck-10mm

Can anyone tell me if it would fit my drill?

Also does anyone know if the Dewalt chuck ratchets as it tightens up onto the drill bit?

Many thanks.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

take the old chuck off and measure it, most chucks are interchangeable size for size.

3. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Thanks for your advice....
    the Dewalt chuck is a 24 UNF thread...how do I measure my chuck to find out if mine is the same?

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

don't worry about the thread it's the o/d in this case size is 3/8", the other size in common use is 1/2". Basically you need the same size chuck as you have now ie. a 1/2" chuck or a 3/8" chuck.

5. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Yeah the chuck on the drill now is 3/8" (10mm) & so is the Dewalt one I want to use....I was just wondering if the thread size was the same as I know different manufactures used different threads.

Thanks.

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

As the Captain says, the diameter of the threads are either 3/8 or 1/2 inch, just measure it with a rule. The threads are always UNF....A throwback to the original American tools. I've never come across a Metric one yet !

7. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

Just to confirm that the spindle size on my Bosch drill is 3/8 x 24UNF.
    I removed the chuck & tried on a chuck from another drill that had the size marked on it, so now I know for sure.

Thanks to all who advised.

Regards.