Drill chucks and bits

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by WackySpike, Aug 14, 2009.

1. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Hi guys I was wondering what the main differences are between SDS Max, SDS plus & HSS drill bits are?

I was also wondering about how many different chucks are there? Whats the difference between a keyless chuck, SDS chuck, HEX end chuck and what do you call your everyday chuck that you tighten with a chuck key?

As I am after a new drill and totally preplexed.

2. Guest

What type of work are you doing with it?

3. imran_

imran_ New Member

HSS (high speed steel) will work OK on, er, steel and should be OK for wood but without the brad point. Using them on hammer (i.,e masonary will kack em quick).

SDS plus: oriented (angle) lockeed and bayonet fixing - i.e. no slippage in fixing and used for larger drilling, etc.

SDS MAX - a much bigger SDS plus, used for "heavy" work. You'll know if you need one!!

SDS plus is a good system, not so expensive. Best bet when a standard drill won't do. You can chip the gold offa Hitler's teeth with an SDS max!

4. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

HSS drill bits fit into any standard chuck, either with a key or the keyless type. SDS+ fit into a special chuck with a groove on one side for the bit to fit into ( there's no physical tightening of the chuck as it's a positive lock on these) SDS Max is a variation of the last one but it's a lot bigger than SDS+.
    Your everyday chuck that you tighten with a key is just an ordinary bog standard chuck.
    I prefer a keyless chuck these days. SDS+ is usual on hammer drills these days (a much better hammer action than ordinary drills. Just google on the internet and you'll see the difference.

5. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Thanks for your reply guys.

So let me get this straight;

Standard chuck can come in either a key or keyless form.

SDS chuck uses an interlocking bayonet system

So whats a HEX end chuck?

And can a SDS Max and SDS Plus bit both fit into the same chuck?

Once again thanks

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Blimey!

If you are getting your knickers in a twist over the blunt end of a drill wait until you ponder all the variables at the sharp end! :O

7. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sds.htm
    Hope this is helpful; Hex end take drill bits that have a hexagonal end, like the screwdriver bits in electric screwdrivers.

Reading the reviews on the Screwfix site / amazon etc writen by people who've bought the different types of drills will also tell you a lot about the various options.

Happy drilling!

8. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Hex end as pointed out , takes special hexagonal bits. This type are commonly found on impact drill/drivers.