Drill size for fitting tubular latch on interior doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Purple Box, Oct 16, 2007.

1. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

23mm speedbit

2. wgand

wgand New Member

22mm or 7/8'' flat bit?  I've just measured two of mine with a micrometer and found that my old 7/8'' is within 2 thousandths of an inch of the stated size (0.873'' or 22.17mm) whereas my 'modern' 22mm flatbit is 0.885'' or 22.48mm.  This could be fortutious, poorer machining accuracy or deliberate oversizing of the '22mm' bit (?), but would seem to indicate that 22mm is indeed preferable to 7/8''

3. parana

parana New Member

25mm Irwin blue groove. never had a problem.

p

4. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

25mm auger/ irwin blue depending on the door.

if its a cheap latch, and they tend to be the under sized ones, the job is probably cheap. so a little filler is no worries.

if the job is a quality one, the latch tends to be good.

ta and indeed da! :)

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Why don't manufacturers make them so they fit first time? MI's usually state to use a 22mm bit.
    I particularly hate the sort that do fit first time, then when you put the handles on, you find that the gubbins of the latch is sticking. Take the latch out again and reach for the 1/4" chisel. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

How hard is it for manufacturers to make them bl00dy well fit the hole they specify?

6. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

i know what you mean! cant remember the makers name, its the ones with 'this way up' on them that are the worst. why on earth have a moving part outside the barrel???

7. NEEDAJOINTMAN

NEEDAJOINTMAN New Member

i have either  used 24mm or chisel out rest

8. Garviel Loken

Garviel Loken New Member

9. Garviel Loken

Garviel Loken New Member

Aah! Come on! Theres no need for that ;)