Drilled through cable

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Elle Langley, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Elle Langley

Elle Langley Member

Hi, does anyone know how to remove plaster to expose electrical wire I managed to drill through to see the damage? ‍♀️

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Old chisel and mallet

3. Elle Langley

Elle Langley Member

Just chip away around the hole?

4. Is it a solid wall? If so a chisel and hammer. Cable might have some protective capping over it, if it has the hole will have to be bog enough to cut this out of the way too. Ensure the cable is dead of course.

Elle Langley likes this.
  5. Elle Langley

Elle Langley Member

Any idea how easy it is to replace the cable?

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If you're lucky and the cable is in plastic conduit, then very difficult. It might be possible to get at the cable at the top, underneath floor boards, and feed in a new length to the socket or switch then join the two appropriately under the floor boards.

If you're not so lucky and its galvanised metal capping, nigh on impossible to replace it. You might have to chisel the entire length out of the wall between socket and ceiling void.

7. Elle Langley

Elle Langley Member

8. Elle Langley

Elle Langley Member

Luckily it's a plastic conduit....its on the wall behind my oven and hob. The socket is near the ceiling, I assumed the cable had come from that way.

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Hopefully, if you can find the cable in the ceiling void, it can be pulled through and replaced. Is this to the socket that feeds the extractor per chance?

Elle Langley likes this.
  10. Elle Langley

Elle Langley Member

It does, I was replacing the cooker hood, the screw holes for the fixings are smack bang in the middle of the cable, so it needs moving anyway ‍♀️

Hans_25 likes this.