drillin porcelain tiles

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by starlight tiles, May 4, 2009.

1. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

any decent tile drill bits on the market these days

2. tiredandgrumpy

tiredandgrumpy New Member

try 365 drills, although yesterday I risked a masonery drill with hammer action and but for a few splinters flying around it went through fine, but don't expect a clean hole

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

as above 365 drills...

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

365 - no way!!

Richon tools, HK. Good bits and incredibly cheap compared to these - I've had no problems with them.

5. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I will second that comment from imran look on ebay or go to their website,excellent delivery serviice too as well as being cheap as chips

6. tiredandgrumpy

tiredandgrumpy New Member

interesting, and they can handle porcelain ?

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

Last time I looked a diamond was quite high on the Moh scale.

I'm sure a DeWalt or Armeg bit will last a bit longer, but since they're 30-40x the price so they should. Last time I ordered diamond bith from Richon I got a shedload for £100.

Compare with 3 of these: 51321

8. diykeen

diykeen New Member

These are what i've used on porcelain tiles: -

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95958/Drill-Bits/Masonry-Drill-Bits/Multi-Purpose-Drill-Bits/Bosch-Multipurpose-Drill-Bit-Set-4-Pc

They're diamond tipped so they do the job. They do take a while to make a hole with the larger bits but they do get through in the end. You simply mark where the hole is to be and drill the hole. No masking tape and no slipping all over the tile. You need to keep on cooling the bit with water though as they get very hot (as you'd expect!)

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

They're diamond ground, not diamond tipped, but they do work very well on most materials. :)

10. diykeen

diykeen New Member

Fair enough malkie, you got me on that one! :) Glad you agree they work though. Best drill bits i've used so far for price.

11. imran_

imran_ New Member

On porcelain?? I'd be surprised if they work since the diamond surface area on the tile will be very small compares to a hole saw. i.e. drill the circumference of the hole rather than the area.

Compare these with DeWalt tile drills and you'll see what I mean. Since you're drilling the "whole" hole you'll generate an incredible amount of heat that you need to get rid of.

12. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Richon Tools HK is the answer as imran has said, their drill bits & plenty water.

A wee tip if drilling floor porcelain tiles; mark your hole, form a doughnut around the hole with Plumbers Mait & fill with water.

13. diykeen

diykeen New Member

I agree with the two of you, the Dewalt ones are very good at cutting and do the job quite quickly. I have an 8mm Dewalt bit. I just found that when trying to drill holes on the porcelain tiles that are already fitted to the wall the bit tends to stray a bit from the mark that i'm trying to drill. This can be problematic when you need the holes to be spot on for fixings etc.

This is why i thought i'd try the bosch ones that i mentioned as they weren't a great deal of money and because of the sharp pointed tip they stay exactly where you want the hole.

They do indeed generate a fair bit of heat which is why i mentioned the need to use water.

14. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Those bosch drills won't drill through porcelain tiles, at least not with me at the other end :)

They're great for ceramic tiles though.

B&Q were selling them for around £6.50, so SFd prices may be a bit high.

15. diykeen

diykeen New Member

Hi Cornish,

Don't want to get into a childish squabble about this :), but they do drill through porcelain tiles. I've tiled my bathroom and my parents in porcelain tiles and have drill all the holes with these.

I admit, they do take a bit longer to drill than the Dewalt ones but i just find they're more accurate.

My choice i suppose and i'm no expert!

16. imran_

imran_ New Member

Accurate drilling....? Drill a 8mm hole in a piece if wood, hold wood to tile, drill through hole. Can't go wrong!

Don't forget there is "porcelain" and "porcelain", which might have a Moh of anywhere between 5 and 8.