drilling a 5 lever lock out ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by stevie.c, Jun 24, 2006.

1. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

on monday ive got to attempt to drill a 5 lever lock out of a new build oak door(some idiot has lost the keys).im not happy about doing this as ive never tried this before,ive told the finishing foreman to get a lock smith out but he said his supiors wont let him .
    has anyone got any tips to pass on ?

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Knock the pins out of the hinges and remove the door then unscrew the lock and remove as normal. Drilling it out will completely ruin the door.

BB

3. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I have opened locks like this before ,as long as you drill where the handles cover it will be fine.
    You need to find the point where the levers prevent the lock from opening,(somewhere above the keyhole and below the spindle).Keep drilling all the levers out till the keep thing can be levered into the open position with a flat screwdriver

4. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

thanks lads for you replies,im going have to be very careful because the irongmonery is,escution plate and a rose plate for the handle.irl check if the pins can be knocked out, if not the drill it is.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

With a rose and escutcheon, I don't think you'll be able to drill where necessary and be able to cover it again.

You'd be better off chopping some of the frame out from the inside, then replacing that bit with an infill bit.
    At least it'll save the door.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

6. russ295

russ295 New Member

i am with BB on this one, have removed a door before using this method, only took a few mins, need a thin steel rod to tap them out.

7. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Rather than risk the door, ener via one of the windows and tap out the pins as sudgested.