Drilling a Pan?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sinewave, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Not from scratch before ya all get excited!  :eek:

We have a client with 30 back to the wall pans approximately 10 years old with hidden top fix seats.

Seats are breaking a bit more regulaly now and so far we have replaced around 7 or 8 with no problems.

Now the current one's holes are just too small for the usual replacement seat and two others we have tried, it just seems the holes are just too small and have been that way since manufacture.

The old seats used expanding rubber plugs (which allowed some leaway) whereas all the new seats use hard plastic rawl plug type fixings or metal toggle fixings like the plasterboard ones.

The only option we can see (bar removing the whole pan) is to try and drill out the whole a mm or so. 

Is this possible dya think or will it end in tears!  :'(

2. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

You said it Sine

It can only end in tears

Get the client/customer to sign a waiver, stating that it is highly probable that the pan will ''crack'' on drilling, so you lot are not responsible.
    Tell customer new toilets are needed but if customer insists, they can be drilled but with no guarantees

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Agree with Palava someone's going to be :'(

4. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Sinewave, you certainly can drill out the holes in the top of the pans. If you get a wet diamond drill bit of the correct size, it should do the job nicely.
    For example, if the existing hole in the pan is 10mm Dia, then a 12mm Dia. drill bit should do you.

The drill bits with the pressurised water feed are the best. It may cost you a bit more to buy/hire, but puts vitually no stress or heat build-up on the drill bit.

Here's a link to what I mean http://www.screwfix.com/p/diamond-core-drill-12-x-85mm/86173

Hope this helps,

Snezza.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd be more inclined o use a 'hole enlarger' bit(drill file).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

I know what you are saying HA. But I have had to drill a couple of porcelain basins in the past and found that the wet diamond drills do the job a treat.

After all, he only wants to remove a couple of mm of "Glaze". The water feed is a must for any kind of Porcelain really.

Snezza.

7. Mr. Handyandy

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

This is good!  :)

I was getting a bit depressed about this simple little job causing so much hassle!  :(

Those bits look promising Snezza! 

9. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

About 6 months ago i wore out my 6mm wet diamond dril bit. It was on a Sunday, and I could'nt get a new drill bit to fit my drill system until the Monday. So I went down to Screwfix and bought one of those dry diamond drill bits to get me out of the c..p. I had about 6 holes left to drill( shower frame on to porcelain tiles) and I was lucky to get them all drilled before the dry diamond was totally shot!!!!
    Just my experience!
    The drill system that I've got is Japanese. I've had it about 12 years and the 6mm bit is the only bit I have had to change in that time. The bits are about £25 each, but the 6mm bit must have drilled 100 - 120 holes before it needed replacing.

Snezza.

PS, whatever you try Sine, keep a light constant flow of water over the cutter. It helps to keep the Temperature down and washes the dust away.

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

11. Mr. Handyandy

Pffft!
    Bit I suggested above and depth too!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. palavaman

Yep!!!
    And no one gave you 5 points for the 'Correct Answer'?

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Errr, you got points for a Helpful answer Hands but the cost was too much.  ;)

The £10 rake gets the Cigar! 

14. paulmarlow

paulmarlow New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

15. palavaman

Surely, you are not allowed to award yourself points under the ScreFix rules & regulations. So I call your actions, CHEATING, innit?

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Quite possibly Palava, but no one can stop me can they, so what I say GOES

Just be grateful I've shown the forum a cheap work around for any sanitary ware mods you lot may come across int t'future! 

17. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

That mortor rake looks brill, I think I will get one for other jobs as well.