drilling corian ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stevie.c, Sep 14, 2006.

1. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

got to do a small job tomorrow which involves having to drill into a corian worktop,never done this before and was wondering if theres any tips or special drill bits which should be used.cheers steve

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Small holes use a normal HSS twist drill. Larger holes a holesaw will be fine. If you need a good finish to the hole then a router and template followed by working through the grits to 2000 or so will be requitred.

Depending where the hole is there may be 25mm MDF bonded to the back of the corian to make up the 37/38mm thickness.

Jason

3. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

cheers jason,i was hoping it would catch your eye thats why i post on carps forum.ive only got to put 3no screws to fix chrome support post on a breakfast bar so HSStwist drill it .again regards steve

4. Benbo

Benbo New Member

out of curiousity does corion melt if you drill it too much? damn customers

5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

If you had a really blunt drill it could get hot and melt to the bit. But you would need it quite hot, I have heated corian in a oven to thermo form it(bend while its hot)

Jason

6. STGO

STGO New Member

yeh, but does it actually melt? or just cook further till it is rock hard??

7. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Just melts like drilling plastic.

Jason