Drilling galvanized steel ???

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by spindle, Sep 26, 2010.

1. spindle

spindle New Member

Hi all

I have razor wire to fit to the perimeter of an allotment and i need to fix galvanized brackets to galvanized posts with M8 bolts my question is whats the best 8mm drill bit to do this as i have apporx 60 holes to drill. also any other tips would be great, thanks

2. Stupid Boy

Stupid Boy New Member

Any good quality HSS drill. Touch up the holes with Galvafroid.

3. lmoore

lmoore New Member

Not sure you are allowed to put razor or barbed wire on allotment boundaries, barbed and razor wire are pretty rough to wildlife, little jimmy getting his football back etc. There could be real consquences if you do it.

4. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

I see a legal bill coming. Dont do it M8

5. DUDE123

DUDE123 Member

do it

was on one of our building sites other day and a couple of the lads was barb wireing the site fencing up and a couple of officers was walking by and said "YOU DO REALISE THATS ILLEGAL DONT YOU" REPLY "WELL IF YOU DID YOUR * JOB PROPERLY WE WOULD HAVE TO DO IT " OFFICER HUNG THERE HEAD AND WALKED ON CLASSIC !!!!!!!!

[Edited by: admin]

6. Guest

Sounds a bit dodgy...

Get yourself an alarm.

7. Dewalt Devotee

Dewalt Devotee New Member

Get yourself a Dewalt Extreme Hss bit from our hosts,or any decent HSS,or Cobalt bit.
    I would advise starting with smaller bits though and working your way up in size.
    Use cooling or cutting fluid/paste to keep the bit cool and help keep it sharper longer.
    Use a centrepunch tomark the spot first,so you dont skid all over the place.

8. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

Drill & pop rivet them.

9. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Razor wire cannot be installed near or around any public place. Would advise you check with local regs. The no win no fee lawyers will be queuing up!

10. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

You could Arc Weld them.

11. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Razor wire is allowed where there is public access to a private enclosure. There's miles and miles of it fitted around MOD properties that front onto public foot paths.

It isn't freely available on the open market, but can easily be purchased from a bona-fide fencing company - with few questions asked.

It has to be mounted at a height of at least 2M and have the usual 'Razor wire notice' displayed in a prominent position at regular intervals.

My advice to the O/P: Buy some galvanised restraint bars from a builders' merchant and fix them with a few self-tapping 6mm bolts from Screwfix.

Lucia.

12. Mr Spindle,

I would recommend the Dormer A002 HSS drill bit. Just one bit should drill all sixty holes if you go easy on the speed. But "Sods Law" suggests that purchasing two is a good idea incase you should snag one and snap it!

Pilot drilling is unnecessary as these bits will drill construction steel without piloting right up to 13mm!

They cost more than standard HSS drills are impossible to resharpen unless you have the skills of Toolmaker but often achieve 200 holes before needing replacement.

They are easily purchased on the net. Just search for Dormer A002

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Razor Wire around an allotment? You will almost certainly get sued!

14. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

Razor wire around an allotment?

They are only carrots ***, not 9 carot gold :(

15. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

A local community group recently installed barbed and razor wire to a fence around an area they thought the great unwashed should not have access to. Within days the local council enforcement officers responded to a complaint and removed it as it contravened public safety.

16. spindle

spindle New Member

thanks for the info, i have ordered a couple hopefully they will do the job

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Spindle, out of interest, and I am not trying to wind you up, what are the circumstances of your situation? If it is a public council rented allotments putting razor wire around it is almost certainly going to result in you taking it down and probably losing your plot. It is a pretty antisocial thing to do, as no-one deserves to lose an eye just trying to reach their kite or get their ball back. Believe me if you have had stuff nicked off your allotment, the best plan is to not have valuable kit on it, the old boys dont. Have an old and knackered shed as it attracts less attention and if you put razor wire up it will only encourage thieves and vandals. If you had had crops trashed I know how upsetting that is but just treat them as you would any other garden pest protect them as much as possible reasonably, use some protective planting, blackberrys and raspberry on the perimeter would deter some chancers. If you intend to push on and do this be prepared to take it all down and to have on your conscience possibly an innocent kid being maimed. As I say genuinely interested as to why you would readily take the advice on drilling but not the plenty strongly advising against doing it

18. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

***, just talk to the land owner and see what the position is. Mountain from kumquat mole hill comes to mind.

19. spindle

spindle New Member

thanks for the interest, i dont have a plot i was asked by the chairperson of the allotment to quote for this, which i have, the quote was accepted and 100m were installed the weekend, i did inform them to check if this was allowed to be put up which they said they were happy so i was happy to take it as a job.