drilling holes in mirror

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cj, Feb 7, 2004.

1. cj

cj New Member

Hi,

My computer won't let me talk to anyone else, so in desperation i'm asking you in the hope that you can help!

I have got a round mirror that I want to put up on a tiled bathroom wall, but it hasn't got any holes for me to attach it through, and I need to have the option of moving it in the future. Does anybody have any suggestions of the best way to drill holes in it without it shattering at the first sight of my drill????

2. andyboy

andyboy New Member

try 14054 tile and glass drills.

3. impedence

impedence New Member

Chances are that the mirror is toughened so it will not drill. Try heavy duty double sided adhesive tape. Make sure back of mirror and wall are grease free and position of mirror is correct as when it sticks it sticks good.

4. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Why not make a backing board out of good quality ply, attach it to that with clips, and hang it the conventional way?? :)

5. impedence

impedence New Member

6. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Er - why not just use some Mirror Mate? - stick mirror to wall, hold in place with tons of masking tape etc for 24 hours, problem solved. It works a treat and is available from Screwfix.

7. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Doh - should have checked the link above first. That's the stuff. As for moving it - just buy another, tightwad!

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

For the price of the mirror adhesive, you might aswell take the mirror to your local glass merchants and have them drill it for you. They should have special water cooled drilling machine. Where in country are you? I might be able to recommend somewhere.

Kitty X

9. MadDesigner

MadDesigner Member

Yup. Have to agree. Get a pro to do it. If it breaks then it's his seven years of bad luck ;)