Drilling into corner of room? stud ?pipe

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Kada, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Kada

Kada New Member

Thanks for your advice. Complete newbie to DIY.

Have I hit a stud or lintel or pipe??

I was installing a floating shelf - 3 screws went in easily It, but the last (closest to the corner) wouldn't drill. I was using a Redi drive self drilling plasterboard fixing and it wouldn't go further. I ended up drilling a hole and trying to put a white rawl plug in. I could get it most of the way and insert the screw. When I realised the wall wasn't hollow there by knocking (too late I couldn't get the plug out).

I Invested in a stud finder that was going haywire in the room including where i drilled in the corner (metal, electricity).

There are no sockets within 3 feet.

Concerned I may have hit a pipe but could it have been lintel or stud ? The bathroom on the floor above sits above this room.

Thanks for advice.

Attached Files:

2. Dream_Home

Dream_Home Member

All your photo shows is a hole in the wall, can you take one further back so we can see around it to get a better picture of what is going on

3. Kada

Kada New Member

Attached a wider photo.Thanks

Attached Files:

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Firstly, do you know what the wall construction is ? Is it a stud wall ?

If yes, could be timber or metal studs

Put a screw into the hole and just tap the object with the screw using your fingers = sound weird but you can get a feel for the type of material your coming up against
    If timber stud, give the screw a turn, again with your fingers and the screw will start to bite into the wood (if a pointed screw)
    If this is the case, all good as you can then do away with the Redi Drivers, use a longer screw and fix bracket direct into stud

If you get a solid feeling, then proceed with caution, if its a brick wall, not the soft block type, you can get pebbles in the bricks and these arfe really rock hard and will need smashing with either a decent SDS drill or a masonry punch and hammer

It's a good starting point to know wall construction though

Good news it that if it was a copper water pipe, you would know by now as the drill would have gone through it :eek:

Any electrical accessories on the other side off wall (sometimes people don't think about what's on the other side of wall)

Could be steel tube in wall that used to be used to run lighting circuits and switch drops. Not so easy to drill through that with a masonry bit -luckily :)

5. Dream_Home

Dream_Home Member

Agreed with @DIYDave. Knowing the construction would be beneficial, is there anything the other side of that wall? I.e. you neighbour's house, or is it a supporting wall

6. Kada

Kada New Member

Thanks. I managed to attach the shelf (white floating shelf) where it was definitely hollow using plasterboard fixings for hollow walls. I was just concerned whether I hit a pipe or something in the end.

The rawl plug u see is stuck. I can't ply it out.

The house is brick outside and dry wall throughout. I could insert the screw in with difficulty

7. Kada

Kada New Member

Nothing on the side of the house. Just alleyway. Brick outside wall.

8. Dream_Home

Dream_Home Member

Sounds like it could be dot and dab, the bricks/material could be the large grey bricks about 9" high they have stones and whatnot in them and as stated are extremely hard.

Stupid question can you shine a light through the holes drilled for the plasterboard fixings and see what's behind it

Edit: what's the age of the house

9. Kada

Kada New Member

House is 5 years old. Copycat new build. The rawl plug is properly jammed into whatever I screwed into so cant shine a light.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

With your stuck rawlplug, or indeed any rawlplug no longer needed, its easier to push them into wall then to actually remove them, and then fill

You often end up doing more damage to the wall by pulling them out as many have barbs and other fancy bits on them to grip the wall and to stop rotation. As you pull them out, the surface plaster often follows as well

Tap them just past wall surface using a screw/punch and hammer, 5mm will do and then fill

11. Kada

Kada New Member

thanks.
    I dont think I hit a brick as the drill bits came out normal after drilling.
    My main concern was whether I had hit a pipe coming from the bathroom above or any electric wires.