Drilling into sheet metal ?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by dvddvd, Jul 23, 2006.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Have some thin polished aluminium sheet when i tried to drill a hole of 13 mm with a twist drill it just caught as it went through and rived it all to bits, the metal must be only <1mm..any ideas how to drill a nice clean hole ?

2. barnet bill

barnet bill New Member

Have you tried putting masking tape on it then a block of wood underneath.

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Clamp ply to both sides and drill

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Drill in spurts. Dabs. Pulses.

You know ?

Push, push, push, push.

Rather than Puuuuuuuusssshh.

Learn to pull away when it starts to bite.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I think the problem is the drill bit, because its quite large 12 mm the twist bit on it is large, can you get big bits with a finer twist bit, so its not so savage when it grips (goes through) ?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take the advice above. You'll be fine.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. jasonb

jasonb New Member

use a stepped drill like SF No 15976 or a cone drill, these will bot shnatch the sheet metal.

Jason

8. britishblue

britishblue New Member

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

how do the cutters work ? many thanks for the replys..

10. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The Q-Max cutter works by you drilling a hole large enough for the bolt (it doesn't matter if theis hole is a bit ragged, as it will be in the waste). Then you place one half of the cutter over the hole on one side of the sheet, the other half on the other side, thread the bolt through and tighten with hex key until it cuts through the sheet. This will give a very clean cur.

BB

11. britishblue

britishblue New Member

This will give a very clean cut.

BB

12. KeithT

KeithT New Member

Q-max is good but 13 mm is quite small, drilling thin sheet metal is not easy as explained above. sandwiching is a good idea but using metal underneath is better than wood as the drill can still be dragged through by the helix, wood may not resist this well enough. In theory you can regrind the point of the drill to a very flat angle but 1mm is probably too thin, what you are trying to achieve is for the outside diameter of the drill to be cutting into the sheet before the tip breaks through.

13. TicklyT

TicklyT New Member

There are tapered reamers available that will open out, say, a 1/8" hole out to 13mm. Drilling that size hole should be easier.
    http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2echronos%2eltd%2euk%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&WD=tapered%20reamer&PN=Modelcraft_Reamers__Drills___PinVices%2ehtml%23aPDR0074#aPDR0074
    Quick tip - when using a tapered reamer, slide an appropriate size washer over it first, so you know when to stop reaming.

Think I've seen hole saws available down to about 1/2" somewhere as well

14. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

A cone drill or step drill will do the job nicely.

15. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Where you been Hitch? no heard from you for a while. PS I suggested the stepped drill a month ago

Jason

16. stelaw

stelaw New Member

Hi dvddvd.
    I know i'm a little late on this thread but i will give you the answer just in case you need to do it again.

This takes me right back to my apprenticeship 30 years ago.

You need to grind your drill into a fishtail. This is done by using the edge of the grindstone rather than the diameter. The idea is that you still keep the leading edges of the 2 Rake angles higher than the back, but you end up with a point in the centre of the drill which is a couple of millimetres longer than the cutting edges. This allows a small hole to be pierced in the centre and the point acts as a Mandrel before the cutting of your desired hole actually starts, very similar to a Holesaw.

I wish i could do you a drawing on here.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

17. Freeclimber

Freeclimber New Member

Where you been Hitch? no heard from you for a while.
    PS I suggested the stepped drill a month ago

Methinks he has drilled a 13mm hole in his head, and is trying to work out when to pull the drill bit back out.
    Either that or he had clamped the aluminium between two sheets of ply, and can't undo the clamps yet...

18. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Your wrong im afraid, i clamped my head between two pieces of plywood, then drilled a 13 right through and out the other side. :-/

19. Refurb Bob

Refurb Bob New Member

Surely you're not attempting to drill the 13mm hole in one go?

Pilot hole of say 3mm, then go up in bit size gradually. More time, but it won't ruin your ally sheet

20. Refurb Bob

Refurb Bob New Member

And use a bit of waste timber under your hole