Drilling through 1.1m of concrete

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Scoobs72, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 New Member

I need to drill a single hole about 22mm wide through 1.1m of concrete. I've yet to find a drill bit long enough. Anybody got any ideas about how to do this? Would a 2kg SDS drill be powerful enough or do I need something much more powerful? Where would I get a drill bit long enough? Thanks!

2. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

Hi mate first thing whats it for why do you need to drill that deep? and how do you know its that deep?.As for doing the job i dont think you can get a drill bit that long.I would advise to use a core drill and stand and a water feed.The core its self wont be cheap at that length.All the best with it mate.

3. i hope this works

i hope this works New Member

How about one of these? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/DrillBits/SDSDrillBits/d110/sd1310
    and one of these?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUICK-RELEASE-SDS-EXTENSION-BAR-WITH-1-4-HEX-SHANK-NEW_W0QQitemZ260247844965QQcmdZViewItem?trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
    You might have a bit of making good as you might have to make the top hole bit bigger for the extension.
    I live in a stone built cottagae and have walls 650-750mm thick
    Start with small bit and work up one size at a time. You don't need a core drill for 22mm

4. i hope this works

i hope this works New Member

scroll down the toolstation page to find 1m long drill bits

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 New Member

That's great thanks. I hadn't thought of using an extension bar. I'm actually drilling sideways through a concrete step (long story), hence I know that it's exactly 1.1m

6. evo nut

evo nut New Member

7. AWCO

AWCO Member

We bought a 22mm SDS 1 metre long from screwfix last week it cost approx £24.00 worked very well they are mixed up in the sds drill bit page item no. 37030

8. murrmac

murrmac Member

presumably you can access only one side of the step, otherwise you could drill in from either side with a 600 drill bit.

9. mattpaint

mattpaint New Member

Around 2 months ago I purchased a set of three long (just over 1 m) SDS bits from City Electrical for around £20. Sizes were 10, 16, 22 mm if think. They are cheap and cheerful, but more capable of drilling through brickwork to the full depth. Start with the smallest and work up.

I found that regular clearing of dust / debris was needed to keep drilling efficiently. A 2kg SDS was adequate, but slow and the drill did get a touch warm. Certainly for the 22mm you will need a bit more muscle if the concrete is dense.