Dripping tap despite stop cock off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rache, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Rache

Rache Member

Hi everyone

I'm still waiting for my landlady to get the plumber in to sort the leaking tap. I have called, etc. At the moment no response, she is usually responsive, but the plumber she uses isn't as very busy. I'm not sure why she doesn't use anyone else but there we are.

Anyway, I have enough other stuff on my plate at the moment, so this is just extra, so I'm dealing with it by turning off stop cock under the sink.

But tonight tap continuing to drip despite stop cock tightly off and tap turned tightly off. (The taps are old now and the thread thing inside them is worn, so can't turn off using them alone).

I've had the washing machine on earlier, wondering if that would have had any effect on this?

Either way will have to go to bed with dripping tap. Paying for the water. I will call landlady again tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

1. You could wrap a flannel or similar around the tap so that you prevent the dripping noise and drape it into the sink. As the flannel absorbs the water it will flow through the fabric rather than drip.
    2. If you're worried about wasting the water, don't. Put the plug in or collect it in something and use it to make the coffee in the morning, flush the toilet, water the pot plants....

KIAB likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Is that the problem from this thread;
    https://community.screwfix.com/threads/gushing-tap-bit-of-advice-please.188719/#post-1516335 ??

That's months ago! If it's the same problem it's completely unreasonable!!
    You need to take proper advice on this but I'd be inclined to get a plumber in, (It should be a relatively cheap job), and take the amount paid off your next rent payment.

No, not at all.

Good luck with it all.

Regards,

Cando

4. Rache

Rache Member

Thanks. Yes I'm afraid it's still me, still not happy in this flat..

The plumber apparently has a new tap to fit, but it's taking a long time. He has said he will come along as soon as he's finished other work.

So if I call out a plumber, could they do a temporary fix? I was told a new tap was needed, but wondering if a temporary fix can be done, because I'll pay for it. Or even if I can go and buy another 'handle' for the tap myself, then it won't be so worn inside (thread or something).

As it was, the dripping did stop. It's weird, mostly it will, but just sometimes it won't.

Thanks again. :)

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

6. Rache

Rache Member

Thanks Cando.

I'll look into this and will find a new home soon. :)