Driveshaft 'chatter'

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Rowdey, May 24, 2010.

1. Rowdey

Rowdey Member

Awight..!

Got a RWD dual fuel Transit 2003, and when coasting in gear, i've recently noticed a loud 'chatter' from g.box/drive shaft area..and it's getting worse..

Might have even heard it when under load earlier this evening.
    If it helps, noise/rotation increases when in lower gear (2nd instead of third) but not noticed it particually when in 4th.

I'm guessing this is one of the D/S bearing(s) on way out, and hopefully not a g/box issue, but if anybody assist with likely cause, i would be grateful.

cheers

R

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oil levels ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Bassrock

Bassrock New Member

Mmmmm

Take it absolutely no noise when out of gear !

When coasting in gear does the noise get worse, stay same, if you turn left or right!

Take it you've had a look underneath at axles/D shaft/D Shaft linkage and differential for leaks/damage etc.

Can you take a sample the differential oil ! (or is there an inspection cover on the diff you can easily remove !

Can you feel any vibration through gearstick etc..!

Just some ideas, always difficult when you've not got your MK1 lug ole to hear the precise type of noise.

4. Rowdey

Rowdey Member

HA.
    haven't checked the 'box oil to be fair, so will do.

BR
    There is no noise when out of gear.

noise does not change when turning L or R

yep been underneath, tried to move propshaft about (3 piece unit) and just a tiny bit of movement in one support bearing (is three of them).

No damage or obvious leaks from box; haven't checked Diff as noise seems much more forward than that, and not like a typical diff 'whine' - will check oil level/condition tho.

No vibration through gearstick or other.

Thats the pest of it - no way to get an ear on it.

I will add that it only seems to happen when been driving for more than 10 mins - so heat and expansion come into play.

Intuition and guesswork say it's either the box to Prop bearing or one of three support bearing..

The first will be expensive; the latter not so..
    :)