Driveway Cleaning

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by kathekas, May 21, 2021.

1. kathekas

kathekas Member

Our concrete driveway is 40 + years old and still in excellent condition.

After 40+ years its needs a good clean. There are the typical algae and black mould patches.

I have a Karcher with a patio cleaning attachment.

What is the best cleaning solution?

The concrete driveway is bordered by our lawn, and don't want to kill the grass.

Thanks for reading.

2. robgul

robgul Active Member

I think you'd be better just using the Karcher spray tool/wand rather than the patio gadget (I assume you mean the sort of upside down saucepan thing?) - just spray with the nozzle fairly near the surface in systematic lines. The patio thing seems to miss areas as the spray rotates.

... and I'd start out with just water as the first go and see what happens - just the jet spray is pretty powerful to blast stuff away. Use a piece of plywood alongside your lawn to mask the edges and you can then spray up to it.

3. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Would jeyes fluid help remove the algae and mold? Use both the patio attachment and the jet spray. It'll break up the monotony. It's a long job unless you have a particularly powerful jetwash.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look on You Tube at Patio Cleaning, then buy Sodium Hypochlorite which is brilliant.......watch video first and follow safety measures, goggles gloves etc. The photo is 30 year old block pavers after cleaning with top left showing colour before cleaning.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  5. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Isn't that pretty much bleach? I bought some bleach to clean my paths & patios but the rain doesn't stop for long enough to apply it. If it doesn't work, I'll try sodium hydrochloride. And if that doesn't work I'll try new paths.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Household bleach is circa 4% Sodium Hydrochloride is 14% a lot stronger even if diluted 50%.
    PS you need the rain to keep it wet as wet is active! ;)

Watch the video's on You Tube.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  7. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Not sure how big your driveway is - ours is big enough for 4 cars and last year we spent about 8 hours across 3 days washing it with a Nilfisk pressure washer (similar to a karcher). Was later talking to a commercial jet wash guy and he told me the whole thing would have taken him about 50 mins. I will be calling him next time in needs done.

8. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

That's impressive. I bet you could strip the paint off a car with that beast.

9. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

saw it done several times when the car cleaners first got Karchers, especially if
    just come back from the paint shop.