Driveway

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FlyByNight, Oct 14, 2019.

1. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I have finally decided to sort out my driveway - all major houseworks are now complete so a reduced risk of damage.

The drive is just under 200 sq m with two garages and natural drain age at one side. Currently it is tarmac which has broken dowm in places, worn away and in bad condition. Under te tarmac is a layer of MOT1 although not sure of how deep.

Three options - a thick skim of new tarmac, remove more of the existing and an even thicker layer, OR take of some of the tarmac and pour concrete (in sections).

If I go down the latter, concrete, route will I need to totally level and recompact or will 40+years of use on the existing be enough! If so, what thickness will I get away with? Some references say 75mm, others 100mm - it will have rebar in along with poly fibre and be well compacted.

Thoughts? Comments and discussion please ...

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Forget the concrete unless you are prepared to dig everything up and start afresh. You have no idea what the sub base is (not likely to be MOT 1 or 2) so will have no idea what support it can offer to the concrete whether it be 75mm or 150mm reinforced concrete . I say reinforced but the rebar in concrete roads (mesh reinforcement actually) is there more to control the shrinkage cracking of the concrete than to be structural, the sub base gives the road/drive its structural integrity. Bitmac (tarmac has all but been dispensed with) will at least give some flexibility to the possible differing settlements characteristics of the existing the sub base although the actual thickness used will have a major bearing on its future durability

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Block pavers might be an option. You can then take a chance on the integrity of the existing subbase in the knowledge that it is easy to lift and relay small areas of blocks if there is local movement.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select