Dropped Ceiling with Lights.

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by David Strange, Aug 28, 2019.

1. David Strange

David Strange New Member

So... I live in a flat on the top floor above a shop. The ceiling is a plaster covered concrete slab. All of the wiring is buried and inaccessible and i would like to change the lighting. I thought a good way to do this would be to drop the ceiling by attaching beams, then plaster-boarding, adding recessed lights as i do that.
    I also want to take this opportunity to add some more insulation as my flat gets really cold in winter and hot in summer. Any advice on this would be welcome. Particularly, is there a minimum amount i can drop the ceiling by? do the lights need a certain amount of clearance. Thanks in advance

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Modern LED lights can often be installed and covered with insulation - check each type.

Have a look at the TP24 downlights which only need 50mm of clearance and can be covered - they also link together quite easily. https://www.tp24.com/shop/all-products/downlights.html have used them in a bathroom recently and they are very good.

Others will have a better idea about insulation, although mayvbe 40mm of Celotex/KingSpan, then a 60mm gap for lights ...