Dry lining. Is it OK to have plasterboard sheets "horizontal"?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, Apr 7, 2013.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I need to dry line a brick wall at home. There are already substantial (4" x 2") timber uprights from floor to ceiling but unfortunately they are somewhat variably spaced with centres roughly 2300mm apart. I did not want to add more uprights to allow me to fix 1200 wide sheets vertically, but will add several horizontal noggins.

Question: is it OK to place the plasterboard (12.5mm) with horizontal joins, one sheet on top of another.? That wayi don't need to add more uprights.

I can't think of a good reason why not but I've never seen it done so am a bit worried!

Thanks for any advice.

diymostthings

2. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Having just done some big DIY jobs with plasterboard, I don't think it matters which orientation you put the sheets.  The problem I think you will have is that all of the joints will be running in lines so you have more liklihood of cracking as you can't stagger the joints. I would also say that you are going to need some more verticals because IMO 2300mm is far too much of a span with nothing in between, and horizontal noggins will only give you horizontal fixings which will be 1200mm apart roughly.  I suggest you get some more studwork, whack some verticals up (400mm centres?) and then fix with plenty of drywall screws.  It will be worth it in the end.

3. Theres nothing wrong with placing the boards horizontal but you still havent got enough timbers

4. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Thanks Cotswold. I just realised that you can't award two correct answers. I'll get down to the timber yard and hit the credit card (again!!).

diymostthings