dry rot / wet rot

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dazzer, Nov 3, 2003.

1. dazzer

dazzer New Member

how you reconise rot and how do you deal with it and or prevent it.

2. bodget&scarper

bodget&scarper New Member

always make sure the air bricks r not obstructed,so u have good ventilaton in floor void,also check fabric of house i:e downpipes,guttersand may be mortar in the cavitys,but is probably a vent prob

3. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Go to the offices of the Inspectorate of Taxes and once past the receptionist you can study rot in all it's forms. Often found wearing grey suits with M&S labels stitched inside the jackets. When you shake the hands protruding from the sleeves of these jackets it feels like chilled mushrooms and the faces always have little piggy eyes that are filled with hate and dislike for you.

It is an enigma how to be rid of this rot and suggestions have been forwarded that a Russian method may resolve it temporarily called Kalashnikov - I dont know of this application but heard people enthusiastic to give it a go.

4. Thermo

Thermo New Member

wet rot is caused simply by the wood being exposed to dampness or immersion it. the moisture breaks down the timber and hey presto wet rot. Can be remedied by good ventilation, houses arent supposed to be completley draughtproof. Check air bricks and ventilation in the loft to avoid it. Its most commonly seen in these areas and in exterior woodwork.
    Dry rot is caused by a fungal spore. It basically attackes the wood and causes it to crumble. It can be traeted or prevented by various chemicals.

5. golp01

golp01 New Member

Whilst Thermoman may be technically correct, Charlie farley has the answer as to its source.....

On a serious note though, wet rot is much easier to cure than dry. everything thermo said about blocked airvents, outside ground levels above the DPC, missing DPC etc, all you do is remove the cause, and if absolutely necessary (i.e. if the timber has gone past the ability to just dry out), you cut out the damage and reinstate.

You <u>really</u> don't want to have dry rot however. Left alone, this can be a life/bank balance changing ecperience. pray that you dont see a mass of white with what appear to be tentacles spreading out in all directions. Search it out on the web, try google, they will have a picture if your not sure. The tentacles are wispy white strands which can spread across brickwork for a metre or so to the next peice of timber. The tentacles carrying the moisture to help the rot to survive. You must not put off treatment, and it has to be drastic.

Sorry to be alarmist but it's best you know.

cheers

pete

6. dazzer

dazzer New Member

Thanks for your help. Does the building have to have some kind of dampness problem for dry rot to flourish. Or would rot cause problems without a dampness problem ?

7. mof

mof Member

Wet rot will only attack wet timber,dry rot once established will attack dry timber as well,it carries its own water to the dry timber.you will have to be very thourough to eliminate it.

8. chippy

chippy New Member

When I worked for Rentokil, many years ago the spec for dry rot involved removal of and replacement of all timber within one metre of any sign of dry rot growth or damage. Plus removal of all plaster, drilling and irrigating walls with fluid and spraying all timbers twice. It is impressive and very humbling to see the damage that fungi can do to a building. Take it very seriously.

9. kesh

kesh New Member

I agree with chippy, I had a job which involved replacing not only floorboards & joists but wall plates & hacking off plaster & treating the brickwork as well! Dry rot is a nightmare!

10. Yics

Yics New Member

Dry rot hmmmmm could go on for hours about that but this link will be easier to type, on this page u will find a data sheet that u can d/load should tell u all u need to know: www.safeguardchem.com/WoodPreservation/dry-rot.htm
    hope it helps

11. Yics

Yics New Member