Dry Testing Pipework (again...), How Much Pressure?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimbo, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

So this has been discussed a lot over the years. Dry-testing copper piping prior to filling using a commodity dry test gauge like this one available from our hosts.

The main advantage is easy of repair if there is a leak since there's no moisture to mess up your next joint plus it's potentially quick and easy, especially where sections are being laid out at a time, as would be common for a DIY situation on a significant project.

The main disadvantage is the potentially disastrous result of a sudden component failure.

These gauges have now been available for a long time. I've read that 0.5 bar (7psi) is sufficient. Then why do these kits have range typically to 4 bar, and is there any record of injury with these products?

2. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

3. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. The issue is with the volume of air compressed in the system under test. In a full heating system this could cause sever injury if, say, a fitting blew apart and bits went flying.
    2. However, if it is a limited volume, then:
    2a. The stored potential energy is much lower.
    2b. It is easier to ensure that any debris is well contained.
    3. As an example of 2. above, I recently had to make up a triptych of radiators to fit a bay window, each joined by curved pipework top and bottom to its neighbour. I pressure tested the set up to 3 bar for an hour, but in the garden, with bits of old carpet over the compression stop ends at each end of the "radiator". No one else to get injured, very limited volume, good containment. I have also air pressure tested whole heating carcasses in customers premises, but never to more than 0.5 bar, and with no one in any rooms with system components.
    4. I've no idea whether there are any reported injuries.