Drying cupboard ventilation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Inchcailloch, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Inchcailloch

Inchcailloch Member

Hi. I'm thinking through how to turn a large cupboard into a place to dry laundry in winter that won't go in dryer. The cupboard will contain an all-in-one washer/condenser dryer. I also plan to have space to hang clothes from washing machine that I can't get in the dryer. The cupboard is next door to a tiny internal bathroom. The bathroom has a vent connected to communal ducted venting system for the whole block of flats. These are well-maintained by the factor and regularly cleaned/checked and I don't want to connect anything into this system and mess it up. The fan works really well and keeps the tiny internal bathroom bone dry as it's on 24-hours. (Powered from attic, two floors above).
    My idea is to have a desiccant dehumidifier in the drying cupboard which is plumbed in so i don't have to keep emptying it (thinking this one: Meaco DD8L). I though I could then put a vent of some sort to draw air from cupboard into the bathroom. Then have a door closer on bathroom door. I imagine this would mean the air from the cupboard would get sucked up the bathroom vent? However, I don't know what vent to use between the cupboard and bathroom. Also, where would I position the vent? Would I also need to drill holes on the cupboard door? If so, on top or bottom? Is this idea a good or a bad one? If it's bad, where am I going wrong in my thinking? The cupboard is about 2m deep, 3m high and 150cm wide. It has waterproof laminate flooring, but I'll never have anything in there that's dripping wet. Walls are lathe and plaster.

2. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

I have the Meaco DD8L. Can recommend it. Just make sure you allow it to run on after the dehumidifying process is finished. The fan runs on and I used to turn it off at the plug thinking it wouldn't make any difference and ended up melting something inside. Managed to take it apart and fix it somehow but it was a while back and I don't recall the details.

Anyway, I think you're thinking too much about how to get the air out of the cupboard.

The dehumidifier takes the air from the room, dries it and then blows it back out again. The dehumidifier has sensors to turn on and off at set humidity levels. If you vent the room, then you're just going to be drawing in more humid air that needs drying. If it is in a sealed room then the dehumidifier won't need to work so hard and will save energy and drying time.

Whenever I used the dehumidifier for clothes drying, I always put it in a room with doors/windows closed.

If you do decide to vent out to the bathroom, then you also need to think about how the air will get into the cupboard to replace it so will need an inlet vent also.

3. Inchcailloch

Inchcailloch Member

Thanks Mark, this is really useful info. I've been overthinking with very limited knowledge.

Mark Griffiths likes this.