Dudley Vantage dual flush cistern, small flush very difficult to push and does not always function

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Allan44, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Allan44

Allan44 New Member

The small flush button has always needed more thumb pressure to make it function and now not working correctly, if it is not pressed quickly it will not work at all, the full flush button has always been easy to depress and still works well. The installer did not shorten the plastic tubes as he claims it makes not difference. Is this a common fault or just one I am experiencing. The cistern is about 4 years old.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Post a pic of the valve will help us

3. Allan44

Allan44 New Member

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Need to see urs not that.that shows what it should look like!
    Not sure what u mean by he didn’t cut them down. I don’t see pushrods on that . I see pneumatic pipes ie air! Have a look to make sure the pipes are not linked that’s usually the problem!

5. Allan44

Allan44 New Member

You will note that in the diagrams it states "Cut the pneumatic tubes to the minimum working length", I did not mention push rods, I called them plastic tubes, sorry to confuse.
    As I am not sure where the problem might lay I have not removed the Outlet Valve as yet, but it is green as can be seen in the literature on their spare parts web pages. URL here https://spares.thomasdudley.co.uk/concealed-cistern-spares/vantage-cistern-spares.html?p=1 If I were to take it out at this stage I would not know what to look for, I was hoping someone might have had a similar problem, and know the remedy!

6. Drewsta

Drewsta New Member

Hi Allan, I know it’s been a while since you raised this problem, but it’s identical to my issue. How did you manage to fix please? I suspect it’s down to the two pneumatic hoses also.

Kind regards,

Andy

7. Assuming yours is a vantage cistern, Most of the time it’s the bellows in the flush valve have split, and although I believe you can buy spare bellow kits it’s easier to just click the syphon out and click a new one in.
    Very occasionally it is the push button but this is rare, and of course u need to make sure the hoses are well connected so it’s worth cutting the ends of and rejoining to the syphon and push button to make sure it’s a nice tight connnection. Lastly check the cistern is actually filling properly as there is an inline filter in the fill valve that can block up over time.

Drewsta likes this.
  8. Drewsta

Drewsta New Member

Thank you for this, much appreciated. I’ve only really noticed it after I replaced the cistern. I’ll cut the hoses back and try this as I left at the originally lengths, so are probably oversized. Thank you for mentioning the inline filter, as I read about that yesterday so will definitely give that a try also. If this makes no difference, it looks like it could be the button then.

9. I’d doubt it was the hoses, but definitely worth trying to cut them shorter for the small amount of time it will take. Like i say the most common reason for this is the bellow has split inside the flush valve, there is a bellow for the small flush and one for the large flush. They are located in the circled area. I think it’s easier to change the whole syphon personally, as you change the bellows and then before you know it the washer needs changing, or something else goes wrong, and it’s so easy to click the old syphons out and just click a new one in.
    You can normally tell if the push button is ok by feeling for air out of the other end of the hoses when they are pushed. I suspect if u disconnected and blocked the hose as well u would feel resistance when pushing the button.

Attached Files: