dug through gas pipe!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dave12103, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Dave12103

Dave12103 New Member

Evening all,
    Yesterday I managed to cut through the gas supply to a house as I was digging a hole for a fence post. It is all sorted and safe etc but what i was wondering is if anyone has any idea as to how much the gas company are likley to chare me for the repair, as the guys who came to do it had no idea. Has anyone else made the same mistake? I have liability insurance but with an excess of £250. Am wanting to figure out if it is worth claiming. I have trawled the web to try and find out what the likley cost will be but have had no luck. The company was northern gas services (I think)
    Any suggestions appreciated!
    Dave

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I know that around 15 yrs ago this used to cost around £125 to get Transco out to do it. I was on a house refurb when one of the labourers put a spade through the yellow plastic gas pipe leading to the property. Transco were there within half an hour, repaired the pipe and handed the bill to our gaffer. I'd think with inflation it could be in the region of a couple of hundred now.

3. Years ago a neighbour of mine pierced his gas line with a FORK! didn't cost him a penny.

Can't say what the regulation depth is, worth a check though.

4. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

5. The last time my showroom was burgled we lost about £5000 worth of gear. I was reluctant to claim figuring that the extra premiums in the following years would easily eat up my claim settlement- and I was right!

However we did claim, and as well as an increase in premium; the insurance company also wanted the security system upgraded - more expense!

If I were you I wouldn't claim, just stump up and keep your no claims history clear. You never know what your insurance company will demand before renewing your policy next year - maybe that all your sites are professionally surveyed before you start digging or something equally ridiculous!

6. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I cut through a large electric cable with my pick doing same thing as the cable was only 100mm below the surface.

I refused to pay and didn't get billed.

7. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

People stabbing through gas pipes with forks, others cutting through electric cables just 100mm deep!

I'm scared to dig a hole now!

8. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Dave, how deep was it? Did it have any warning tape above it (should ideally be a few inches above to give advance warning). And WHERE was the new fence post going - was it anywhere near an existing fence, or somewhere completely different?

I reckon, based on the situation, you could legitimately refuse to pay and I suspect they'll accept it. If, for instance, you are replacing an EXISTING fence, then what on earth was the gas pipe doing there?! That would be an area where digging is almost certain to happen - new posts going in, and a shrub bed being dug, etc.

Etc etc.

Keep us posted. (fnurr fnurr)

9. blister

blister New Member

idiot

10. Dave12103

Dave12103 New Member

Thanks for the replies. Its food for thought. The pipe was around 300mm deep and about 75mm to the side of where a previous post had been, though this was only sunk around 200mm deep. I think the pipe had been laid after that post had gone in. Might try refsing to pay and see what happens!

11. Dave12103

Dave12103 New Member

Just in case anyone is interested, I got an invoice from the gas company today for £169 which is WAY less than I was expecting! Still annoyed that it happened, but relieved it will not cripple my cash flow.

12. pro@all

pro@all New Member

who done the repair dave ? well u can say ypu got away with murder

13. Dave12103

Dave12103 New Member

The invoice says Northern Gas networks working with united utilities. I love the fact that that the invoice lists materials as costing £1.19. They are still making a small profit on the coupler they installed but clearly not ripping me off. Labour came to £139.91 and purge and relight £27.86. As I said before, I think I got off lightly.
    Dave

14. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Thanks for the update :)