Dulux Diamond Matt

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by billhicks, Sep 16, 2008.

1. billhicks

billhicks Member

I was under the impression Dulux Trade Diamond Matt was the exact same as Dulux Endurance. Endurance being the retail version of Diamond Matt.

5 litres of Diamond Matt is £42.99 at Dulux Decorators Centre!!! 5 litres of Endurance is £28.99 at B&Q.

How come Diamond Matt is so expensive?

2. jcts

jcts Active Member

i will say first of all i have never herd of endurance. dulux diamond matt is a very hard wearing paint. you can scrub it with a brush to clean dirty hand prints etc and the paint will not mark. also it give's your a perfect matt finish. it's perfect for hallways, stairwells, landings and kitchens

3. billhicks

billhicks Member

4. jcts

jcts Active Member

sounds the same to me. never used it so can't comment on it but diamond matt is excellent

5. If it is the same then there is some serious ripping off going on by DDC. I think an email to Dulux is in order.

6. order.

If you do this, I would be very interested in the reply having just done hall, stairs and landing at home with Diamond Matt (Got young children and it is so easy to clean up)

7. I've emailed them, I'll let you know if I get a response.

8. billhicks

billhicks Member

The blurb for endurance reads almost the same as for diamond matt.

You can't get endurance in white though as far as I see.

We're doing a whole house in endurance. Used el cheapo emulsion as the watered down coat and then endurance on top. We like it.

9. Here's the reply:

Thank you for your E-mail

Dulux Trade Diamond Matt and Retail Enduarnce are both a durable matt finish that is 10 times resistant than a standard matt product

However Dulux DIY paints are given something called a ?false-body?. This means that the paint is less likely to drip on other surfaces. It gives less experienced decorators confidence in the product, and makes them very easy to use straight from the can. This is fine on jobs, if you can choose when and where to decorate. The key to getting what a professional decorator looks for in good trade paint, is what we call ?real body?. This is created by adding extra pigment and having less water in the product. Decorators are then able to adjust it by thinning.

Dulux DIY paints are designed for the homeowner and will give an excellent result. For handling and versatility that reflect the skills of the professional decorator, you?ll find no better buy than a proper Trade made paint. And, as most professional decorators will tell you, the best trade paints come from Dulux.

I hope this helps

Regards

Corrine Caradas

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

10. That clears that 1 up then.

11. jcts

jcts Active Member

so they are pretty much the same then. but the cheaper one is easier to use?!?! it's a big difference in price as well

12. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

I find Dulux products are much superior to any others in my DIY use. They are more expensive but do exactly what it says on the tin.

13. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

What Dulux don't say is that because Trade paint (which I agree is normally superior to retail paints)is normally paid for by the customer as part of the price for decorating (whether a homeowner or a company) and the professional decorator passes on the extra cost of trade paints so he's not normally too concerned about price. Thus Dulux can jack up the price

14. So you're paying £14 for a bit of real body.

So DIY (Endurance) paints are easier to apply and don't drip.

Do they have less covering power or are they any less durable? Because if they aren't then I don't see the point of the trade paints?

Any of you P&D's know?

15. jcts

jcts Active Member

very good point bertie. bertie has answered you question i think ex kitchen fitter

16. jcts

jcts Active Member

also on the whole, retail paint's have a worse opacity than trade paint's

17. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

worse opacitythan d.i.y. ? iwould say d.i.y. is worser.

18. billhicks

billhicks Member

You can get Endurance even cheaper if you take advantage of the OAP discount on Wednesdays in B&Q. It's Killing two birds with one stone, get a bit of a discount and spend some quality time with an elderly relative.

:)

19. jcts

jcts Active Member

yes DIY paint has a worse opacity than trade paint's. on the whole anyway

20. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Any of you P&D's know?

Dulux Endurance 13/m2 litre.
    Dulux Diamond matt 16/m2 litre.

What is really interesting is Dulux Diamond Matt, when sealing new or bare surfaces, they recommend 1 part water to 10 parts paint, yet if using Dulux Endurance Matt, they say: Seal new, bare and porous surfaces, including previously unpainted patterned textured ceiling coatings, new buildings that have a plasterboard finish and wallcoverings that are suitable for painting (not vinyl or washables) For best results, use Dulux Plaster Sealer.

A bit like not being able to use Rich matt as a mist coat, as opposed to the Trade Vinyl Matt which you can mist coat with.