Dulux Quick Dry Eggshell in bathroom

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Simon Goodship, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Simon Goodship

Simon Goodship New Member

I primed with oil based primer, sanded over to give a key and painted my bathroom walls with bathroom emulsion paint as the paint was blistering with steam from the bath previously, even with the window and door wide open, the room is only small. The bottom half of the room is tiled and the top half painted. I am finding the bathroom paint is doing the same now, it seems to with stand moisture a little better than previous standard matt emulsion paint but it's still doing it.

I have got a tin of Dulux quick dry eggshell, I am wondering if this the same as acrylic eggshell? and would it be suitable to paint on the walls in my bathroom, as in being waterproof and not prone to blistering with steam / condensation from the hot bath water. I'm at a loss on what other paint I could use on the walls that can with stand moisture / steam / condensation better.

Thank you

2. Simon Goodship

Anyone have any ideas please?

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Water based on top of oil based primer is going to cause problems with adhesion.

In my opinion you will have to sand off the emulsion you have put on over the oil based primer, then seal with Zinsser 123 (for example), and then use a washable water based eggshell, Dulux Diamond springs to mind.

There are a few very experienced pros on here who are likely to comment now I have bumped this.

Simon Goodship likes this.
  4. Simon Goodship

I did sand down the oil based primer to give a key before painting over. most of the paint is fine but a few bits bubble up, but then dry out and go back down and you can't tell were they were at all.

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Ok, while giving a key would have helped I still think you would be better off sealing the oil based primer, or not using it in the first place if you are going over it with water based. That it bubbles does imply adhesion problems with the primer.

I will defer to the pros on here if I am mistaken.

Simon Goodship likes this.
  6. Simon Goodship

I put the oil based primer on as I had the same issue with the paint bubbling with hot steam from the bath, under that paint was normal matt emulsion, so I decided to sand down, seal with oil based primer, then sand down to give a key and paint on bathroom paint. I don't know if it's the bathroom paint not being able to put up with the steam / condensation or adhesion issues

7. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

sounds like you need to sort out the ventilation on your bathroom

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As a mistake was made using oil primer as a base for acrylic eggshell simply use oil/solvent based eggshell as your top coat, the quick dry eggshell may peel off reasonably easy but it need removing. Second option would be to remove the existing eggshell wash the walls with sugar soap and rinse off, paint with Zinsser Bullseye 123 and finish with a couple of coats of Dulux Bathroom paint............also improve ventilation by fitting an extractor fan and open a window to improve air flow.

chillimonster likes this.
  9. Simon Goodship

I have opened up the air vent to expose the original air brick, the window is always open.

I painted bathroom paint over the oil based primer which was sanded to give a key.

I haven't painted any eggshell on to the walls, I wanted to know what was the best thing to do regarding the paint.

10. Simon Goodship

I will try your suggestion, I have ordered the paint and I will give it a go when I can.

11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just to let you know that Astramax (posted above) is the pro.

12. Simon Goodship

Yes, I have no eggshell on the wall to remove though, but like you he said about removing paint which is bathroom paint (which is the best way to remove this?)sugar soap walls, and put on zinsser 123, then acrylic eggshell.

13. Simon Goodship

I have removed all of the paint that was blistering which was about 4 layers.

How many coats of zinsser 123 is recommended before I top coat with bathroom paint? Thanks

14. Simon Goodship

Lol really 7 coats?

15. Simon Goodship

Its zinsser 123 primer

16. Simon Goodship

Can't be that good needing 7 coats

17. Simon Goodship

I scraped off about 5 layers of paint off the walls, sanded and cleaned the walls, painted on one coat of zinsser 123, then two coats of Wickes bathroom paint.

Problem solved, no more paint blistering.

Muzungu likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The resident Troll replied to your questions....best to ignore any advice offered from 'The Troll'. You achieved your goal in the end and learned not to apply water base/ acrylic onto oil paint.