Dulux Trade Supermatt Emulsion - White

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by fred812, Apr 29, 2022.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Instructions say to add water, is that for real or am I missunderstanding? Just seems odd.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

It's made to thin to mist coat damp new plaster.
    Then leave for a few months to dry out like on new properties.
    If it's not damp new plaster your painting then you add a splash of water to ease application although I prefer other types of paint for pre painted surfaces

fred812 likes this.
  3. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

It's the latter. It's just we've got a tin left over from when we had all the ceilings done after they were skimmed.
    Thanks.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If you got no use for it give it away.

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Most paints are too thick out of the tin in my experience, typically requiring thinning by around 10% to get the consistency of runny syrup.

6. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

I'm using it as a base coat for my walls which have been patched up after damage removing wallpaper that had been stuck up with superglue I reckon. Its going on top of Gardz.

7. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

The tin is saying 1:3 for a mist coat and 1:5 max in normal use.

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

So 33% for mist coat, and 20% max for normal use. Sounds about right but would add less and see how it looks, as you can always add more water, but never remove it.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's going over Gardz you have already sealed the wall....mist coat will be futile....just thin the paint 10% ish! ;)
    Astra.

Hans_25 likes this.
  10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

STIR THOROUGHLY BEFORE USE. Seal new or
    bare surfaces with a thinned first coat of Dulux
    Trade Supermatt (up to 1 part clean water to 3
    parts paint). The normal finishing process is 2 coats of thinned Dulux Trade Supermatt (up to 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint).

Base coat? Gardz is a base coat so skip the supermatt. Its very pours and chalky.

What's going over?

11. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

I appreciate the walls are already sealed but because of the wallpaper removal they are a right mess of colours ranging from dark brown through to the pink (of the original sealer I presume), to the white of the Easifill, so wanted to get to a consistent base for whatever's next. I didn't do a mist coat, just quoted to instructions.

Final surface will be a mix of wallpaper on one wall and emulsion, proably Farrow and Ball which is what SWMBO tends to go for, but I working on getting her to try a matched colour from Johnstones.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Farrow and Ball may need the recommended primer or will play up.
    Get an cheaper acrylic primer undercoat tinted to farrow and ball colour or just buy a cheap acrylic primer white and apply over gardz to kill colour. Can paint over that fine or paper. Supermatt ain't the best product for what you want. It's chalky and dry

Astramax likes this.
  13. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the advice Wayners, certainly want to go that way with the next room (we've got the whole house to do with this awful flipping lining paper to get off). I know FB, if we use it, is ok over the supermatt though we've used it before.

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

OK.
    It just a common problem with F&B people skipping the recommended primer and getting problems.

fred812 likes this.