Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt - Pure Brilliant White -- Can it be used for a mist coat??

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by thestraycat, Jul 12, 2021.

1. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Hi guys,

Are the subject heading really... A bit confused. The internet says dont use Vinyl paint for a mist coat use a matt emulsion.

This pot calls itself Vinyl Matt and has instructions that it can be thinned by 20% water.

Can it be used as a mist coat onto a newly skimmed surface?

upload_2021-7-12_19-16-38.png

2. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Vinyl Matt contains 'vinyl' which is not good for newly plastered walls, the non vinyl paints let any moisture escape through the emulsion rather than trapping any moisture and causing the paint to blister, use either a Contract Matt, Supercover or even Acrylic primer, all thinned circa 25% or as per instructions on Product Data Sheet. However if your plaster is fully dry and has been so for a while you can use the Vinyl Matt as a mist coat.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Does that help?

5. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Yeah i was watching the skillbuilder leyland video. And it kind of confirms that. To be honest, its a toughy because I have skimmed my walls in Terraco (SO not a traditional plaster that mist coating is likely associated with) which gives a lovely surface and the product insists it dosn't need any priming prior to painting. So i'm unsure whether to even bother or just to thin my 1st paint coat down by 10%
    As it's a skim coat and done 2 weeks or so i'm pretty damn sure it's dry now as it was only likely 1.5mm thick tbh. So even the vinyl matt is likely to be ok. But i'm thinking rather than going vinyl matt diluted for a skim coat and then using 2 coats of a different manafacturers paint to final coat i'd be better of just thinning the 1st coat of finishing coat to avoid any bonding or reacting ireggularities. What do you think?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go for it, should be trouble free.

7. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Thanks for confirming!

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes it can if you are using as a final coat. So mist coat and top coats with just a splash of water to help the flow sometimes. But if your using something else for the top coats then maybe not.. The leyland skillbulder video explains or the dulux trade training centre skillbulder video also covers I think.
    I prefer the acrylic primer as nice and smooth and anything can go over but thats me

9. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

@Wayners - I know your a guy with terraco experience! Do you bother to mist coat over it or simply water down your 1st coat to 10% when painting over terraco?