Dummy sash's all over new build, cost to convert?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by anon0491, Jul 23, 2021.

1. anon0491

anon0491 New Member

Hello all,

We moved into a new build that seems to have opted for dummy sashs on most windows, and I stupidly didn't notice it before we moved in; often one of the double has a handle and opens, the other doesn't. The neighbour's don't have this so I'm starting to think they just ran out of handles or something...

We had a window guy out to quote for making them openers and he was vague about the work that needs doing and I want to understand what I'm buying. Is he just using a dummy sash tool to unlock and then fitting a handle or is there more to this? And generally wondering how much I should be considering per window (probably looking to get 5 or so done, more if I find it's simple)

Thanks for any input!

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Have you spoken to the developer? Surely that's first step if you think they are missing. If the windows don't open then there is a safety issue with MOE and maybe ventilation too. Who did BR sign off? Probably NHBC if a large developer and not likely to be much help but worth try.

At absolute worst the developer should be able to point you at their window supplier who should know exactly what would need to be done.

3. anon0491

anon0491 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

We raised it with the developer but they’re less than helpful, have been for a few of the things raised. We had issues with the bifolds and the heat preventing them locking and they sent a glass company out who informed us the original fitters refused to work for the developer now so yeah, says a lot.

We are considering raising it with the guarantee but I think they are likely technically ok as each room has at least one opener so some ventilation and I think a single window is fit for an emergency exit. Will double check that though, thanks!