DUST EXTRACTION

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Barry P. Smith, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Barry P. Smith

Barry P. Smith New Member

HI WE ARE ABOUT TO LOOK FOR A BUNGALOW BECAUSE I HAVE COPD WHEN WE MOVE I WILL BE TURNING THE GARAGE INTO A WORK SHOP I WILL BE INSTALLING A TABLE SAW,MITRE SAW, ROUTER TABLE, PLANER THICKNESSER TENENOR/DRILL, AND A BAND SAW ALL THESE MACHINES WILL DO A LOT OF THE MANUAL WORK FOR ME LEAVING ME WITH SOME JOINERY AND GLUING UP HOPEFULLY I HAVE BOUGHT A TREND AIR STEALTH MASK. I THOUGHT MAY BE A RECORD POWER DX1000 EXTRACTOR MIGHT DO I INTEND TO USE IT ON ONE MACHINE AND THEN MOVE IT ON TO THE NEXT AND SO ON I ALSO THOUGHT OF GETTING A BOX FAN FIXED TO A OUT SIDE WALL IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE EXTRACTOR PLEASE ADVISE ME ALSO WHICH MACHINES DO YOU RATE ON A BUDGET MANY THANKS BARRY

2. robgul

robgul Member

I've just fitted out my workshop at our new (to us) house - for dust extraction I fitted 40mm waste pipes along the wall with T connectors and short lengths of flexible pipe from the machines - connected to a Henry vacuum cleaner via a home-made cyclone to catch the dust. Also fitted a Record "air scrubber" to the ceiling.
    If you want to send me a message with an email addy I'll send some pix. There are loads of similar ideas on YouTube

Rob

Barry P. Smith likes this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hi Barry. That's a fair bit of kit, and lots of ways to solve this. You won't get the output from a thicknesser down a small bore pipe - they generally have 100mm ports - you need a chip extractor type collector. For finer dust, you need something with a large enough filter area so the filter doesn't blind too quickly, and yes, a home-made cyclone can help. I have no particular recommendations - what I use is not mainstream (I have a BVC IV40 Indy with long hoses and different adapters) for general shop use that gets connected to whatever tool I am using at the time. For the thicknesser, it produces so much waste, I just let it spit out and then shovel up and clean up afterwards (but I can do this, and maybe you can't).

4. Barry P. Smith

many thanks rob my email is *** can you tell me do you wear a maskin the workshop or is there no need with your extraction thanks barry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2020
  5. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

I have had a CAMVAC extractor for 15 years or so - they were bough by Record and are excellent machines. Given a choice of Record or Record/CamVac, I would go for the latter - all shown at :

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/dust-extraction.

Which ever you go for put fixed pipework in to several locations with blast gates then have a flexi hose from there to connect to the machines

6. Barry P. Smith

thanks rusty what size filter area do u suggest i have not moved yet but say the garage will be 16 x 8 feet i would be able to clean up behind the thicknesser slowly so i think thats the way to go many thanks barry

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The bigger the better. Fine dust blinds filters, and the higher the flow rate through the filter cloth the quicker it does so. the BVC IV40 I have has a huge bag filter and a reverse air mechanism to "shake" the filter. It's only 1100W but is extremely efficient. However, it's a heavy duty industrial vac which is too expensive for most DIY use.

8. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

rob just post picture on site please

9. robgul

robgul Member

It's WIP - I'll post some pix when I've completed the mitre-saw hood and repositioned the cyclone and vac - probably a week or so as I'm waiting for some bits from Amazon.

10. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

ok thanks looking for ideas

11. robgul

robgul Member

Some progress . . . . the cyclone and Henry are at the far end, out of sight, by the bandsaw (yellow machine) - the cyclone is fixed to a simple box about 400mm cube made from OSB offcuts, with a lid closed with toggle clamps to make the seal. The Record air filter is hanging from the ceiling (worked with a remote control as is the Henry) The waste pipe configuration should be obvious - at the moment I just plug the unused inlets - with just the machine in use connected. Not ideal and I'm working on buying if I can find them, or making if I can't, blast gates for each inlet. What you can't see are the planer/thicknesser and table saw both of which are on cabinets with castors that roll out from under the MFT - each with its own hose to connect to the system.

https://ibb.co/JdS4hVZ
    https://ibb.co/z4Nrxp6
    https://ibb.co/K7nkf8m

(The grey shrouds under the air filter are 3 of my push bikes hanging up by their wheels - with covers to reduce the dust)

ginger tuffs likes this.
  12. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I've got the Record power DX1000, for use with a bandsaw.
    It has a 4" (100mm) input port and comes complete with suitable hose, about 2 meters long.
    It works fine, and would do for you if you are going to move it to each machine as required....

But it's bloody noisy!!

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

ps... not a good idea to put you email address on a forum... You're bound to increase the amount of spam you get as a result!

13. robgul

robgul Member

I've changed the links for the pix in the post above - they should now display rather than be URLs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rather basic mitre saw hood has two hoses that T into one - the machine's outlet is connected plus an open ended hose that's cable tied to the machine just in front of the blade to catch more dust - it works but like all mitre saw dust collection isn't brilliant - btu at least a lot of the dust is contained within the box and can be vacuumed out from time to time.

14. Barry P. Smith

thanks for the reply since you have had your dx1000 have you heard about a not so noisy machine even if it is more expensive and thanks for your ps i am a nube barry

15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I'm afraid I have no knowledge or experience of any others... I bought this one because it was what I could justify spending!

Cando