dust masks for mdf

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Dec 6, 2005.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I will be cutting mdf and want a suitable dust mask, i have a take off vacumn cleaner on router and saw bench.
    also can get the white dust masks from work with moldable nose clip are they any good for mdf dust.
    Seen some mdf masks with a 28 day cert but will be only using it 30 mins a day over a long period, any ideas ? many thanks

2. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

Personally,if only using it for 30 minutes at a time,I would just use cheapy white disposables,and treat them as that (i.e. one a day,then throw away)

3. WouldWurker

WouldWurker New Member

I'd agree that for that length of time the cheap disposable masks would be OK, however the slightly more expensive ones with a neoprene face seal are nicer to wear and (I reckon anyway) a bit more effective.

One thought. MDF dust tends to hang around, and routing creates a lot of it. It takes quite a while to settle so you might find yourself wearing the mask longer than you think if you stay in the workshop.

I have fine dust extractor that runs all the time I'm working and for a short while after I stop. It really does make a heck of a difference. My nostrils have never been so clean at the end of a day!!

4. ogee

ogee New Member

my employers are very strict on health and safety and have contacted the health and safety executive regarding mdf they have told us that masks that meet a p2 filter requirment should only be used when machining or working with mdf they also say that it is no more dangerous than solid timber or other timber prouducts the health scares regarding mdf are linked the formaldyhyde glues used in it manufacture we usae tons of the stuff in work and i have not suffered any ill effects as yet

5. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

I find the worst thing with MDF dust is my eyes. They're sore for hours afterwards. Praps I need some of these

6. Bear Man

Bear Man New Member

I use the blue stanely masks from S/fix - They're pretty good, and seal all around your face. At £7 - 8 pretty good value as well, and can be used more than once. The paper masks don't seal around your nose in my experience; you end up exhaling up into your eye area, which is exceedingly irritating, and results in masks being ripped off with blue air

7. bobthebuilder944

bobthebuilder944 New Member

I to have been having the same problem,in the end i refused to use mdf at work untill the company supplied the full face resperator with the built in fan,seem fine at the moment,but cost about £150,think my life is worth more than that thou.

8. handyman.

handyman. New Member

9. bobthebuilder944

these are probally ok,but if you wear glasses as i do,the first breath and up comes the steam.

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

btb, try the second mask. It does not steam your specs us. 100% will not steam up. The seal is perfect.

11. bobthebuilder944

thanks handyman,will try.

12. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Handyman, how does that one work? Does it have replaceable filters, or do you throw them away after a time?

13. handyman.

handyman. New Member

jrb, it has fixed filters, which last 3 years!! according to the leaflet.

Every year i normally get a new one.

Its a superb mask

14. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

These posts were thirteen and a half years ago John. Some products at Screwfix are lucky to make it into a second catalogue....
    I get on well with the JSP Force 8 - https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-force-8-mask-respirator-with-press-to-check-filters-p3/1863f - although the price has shot up recently. It doesn't steam my glasses because you can adjust it and check for leakage by squeezing the filter cases. I'm not sure about use with vapours.

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member