DW707 or E/B kgs255 slide mitre saws?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Good evening all. I've decided that my lovely makita saw is just too heavy and large to lug around nowadays.
    I do a lot of laminate flooring and am looking for a good alternative.

I'm tempted by the dw707 and Elektra Beckham KGS255.

I hate DW and have never bought one of their tools, and the latest comments I hear around, further fuel my feelings of overpriced unreliable saws. But spares are readily obtainable, it's light, small and fits the bill.

The EB 255 seems to look nice, heard good reports (and read on here), but blades may well be a problem,(can you get 60/80 teeth?) I've heard repairs/spares can be difficult and I know nothing personally of their quality.
    I cant really go and compare as I'm miles from anywhere sensible (Cardiff is about 100 miles or so), so i'm in your hands guys!
    Any advice or comments welcome please!
    Cheers Woody

2. TheKitchenInstaller

TheKitchenInstaller New Member

In my humble opinion; stick with the makita. it's the best saw i've ever used! My dad, also a kitchen fitter, uses the big dewalt slide mitre saw and that's lasted well so far so i rekon that dewalt saws mightn't be that bad. It hasn't packed in on him yet anyways and he's had it for about 3years.
    sorry i can't be of more help.
    you could maybe try hiring one before you buy?

3. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

The makita is indeed a fab saw, but it is just too large and heavy (27kg)to be lugged around the way i do at the moment, hence the decision to look for another saw. I shall however be keeping the Makita for the bigger jobs!
    woody

4. SLIMBOY

SLIMBOY New Member

I too have the Makita slide saw,brill bit of kit but weighs a ton to get up and down the cellar steps.i bought the kgs 255 cos it was the lightest one on the market to lug about.Brill saw bang accurate,you can just about squeeze in a 210mm blade instead of the 205..trouble is as you say getting hold of a 60 tooth one.. anybody suggest a supplier?

5. Chippy Minton

Chippy Minton New Member

I wouldn't recommend the DW707, I feel it has a design fault with the blade gaurd. The trigger/handle bends slightly in operation and does not open the gaurd fully. Can be a bit dangerous.

Also only has a max cut thickness of about 55/60mm

An exellent machine, but has issues.

6. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Slimboy, do you mean fit in a 216mm blade instead of the 210? 'cos it comes with a 210 doesn't it?

Chippy, thanks for the info, pretty much as I guessed!
    Woody

7. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

FWIW I bought the 'leccy becky 255 instead of the DeWalt simply because it was a much nicer saw all round - smoother action, nicely made, solid enough to do the job and light enough to lug around.

Had it for a couple of years, no complaints.

HTH

Pete

8. SLIMBOY

SLIMBOY New Member

Yep you are right,i checked the manual it does come with a 210..i remember now i changed the blade with a 48 toother from sfix..anyhow brill bit of kit,does trenching good too,with the height adjustment set...

9. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Slimboy (and others) for reference, EB do a 40 tooth blade for the 255. part ref:- TCT 210, 30-mm bore, 40 ATB teeth Stock no.: 091 003 1148

Woody

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

makita do a small pullover crosscut saw about 6 or 7 inch diameter blade cutting about 300 wide, as you say laminate so you dont kneed depth of cut just width (and the right blade for laminate) , much lighter thatn the one you are lugging about

11. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

DD, i did come across the new small Makita the other day (LS0714)on the web. I do like Makita, and am tempted to stay with them, but it has to be said, that saw is about £70 dearer than either the DW or EB :( and that is a significant difference.
    Woody

12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

ukwood, understood, it is significant untill you look at the time off work for a bad back.

i rarely exceed 10 stone 7 so I see at the weight of tools as being important, i dont want a bad back

13. Chippy Minton

Chippy Minton New Member

i rarely exceed 10 stone 7 so I see at the weight of
    tools as being important, i dont want a bad back

Blimey...10 stone 7... I remember back then!!

;)

CP (getting fatter with age)

14. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Dont we all!
    Woods

15. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

OK Guys, for various reasons I have swallowed my pride and bought a reworked Dewalt DW701 (bigger motor than 707) from I.T.S on the isle of wight via ebay for £212

Just hope it's a good one...
    many thanks for all your input and thoughts.