DYI house rewire and consumer unit change

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Aleksei, Jan 13, 2019.

  1. Aleksei

    Aleksei New Member

    Have someone here done full house rewire himself, signed off by building control? How does process works? Really not keen to pay ridiculous prices of £3000 plus materials and fittings just for 1 weeks labour rewiring 3 bed house. Do sparkies really earn 12k a month?
  2. rogerk101

    rogerk101 Well-Known Member

    I suggest either running away fast or quickly wrapping yourself in fire-proof clothing ... you've just started WW3. :eek:
    Muzungu, Heat, RolandK and 2 others like this.
  3. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

    It is quite straightforward.

    You submit a building control notice before you start work and pay their fees (about £400).
    Carry out the work.
    You then go and spend around £1200 on a multi-function tester to enable yu to carry out the required tests and enrol on a city and guilds 2391 test and inspect course.
    Carry out the appropriate tests and sign off the documents.
    Submit them to building control.
    Realize it would have been cheaper and quicker to pay the pro.

    Kind regards
  4. Isitreally

    Isitreally Well-Known Member

  5. Coloumb

    Coloumb Well-Known Member

    That's exactly what I've done :), but without paying the pro.
    Heat and Bazza-spark like this.
  6. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

    Yes Col, but you have a clue lol.

    Kind regards
  7. Jord86

    Jord86 Well-Known Member

    Have a crack, can't be that difficult can it? :cool:
  8. spinlondon

    spinlondon Well-Known Member

    If you get stuck, can always get advice from an Internet forum.
    masterdiy likes this.
  9. Bob Rathbone

    Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

    Any fool can wire a house...… The disturbing truth is that some actually do.
    I spent the greater part of my working life as a College Lecturer after being a spark. It takes at least 4 years with the input of an electrician and College to get a kid up to speed and on the road to becoming a competent electrician. All of the BS we see about Part P courses and other 'quick routes to accreditation' have little value in the real world. Having said that I could train someone in one week to wire a house, it would be new build and only one specific house type, no variations, and more importantly, no testing and no fault correcting. But that is training with no understanding, 'monkey see, monkey do' approach. A rewire is a completely different job, every one is different and only the competent electrician who understands the job is safe to do it. We as Electricians, find out more about the job as we make mistakes and correct them. Those mistakes were made in our time as apprentices and were carefully corrected under the supervision of our electrician. It is not safe to allow that process of learning by one's mistakes to take place in a 'live' environment.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    candoabitofmoststuff and Rulland like this.
  10. Aleksei

    Aleksei New Member

    Thanks for all replies.
    Just to clarify, I done college degree in electrical installations 15 years ago and was working as domestic electrician for a year but left the profession. No fault finding will be involved as whole house is a shell at the moment and I won't reuse any of old wiring as it is around 25 years old, so should be straight forward installation.
    I believe I don't need test equipment as BC will be testing installation, correct me if I am wrong?
  11. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

    Completely wrong.

    You will need to test the installation and remove any faults (there will be some) that you have created. You will need to submit your readings to building control. They will then decide whether they will verify your readings or pass it off as it.

    Kind regards
  12. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    You need to ask your LABC. They all have their different view on DIY electrics.
    I live on the border of three different LABC areas, none of them like DIY electric projects. None of them have the ability, or desire, to carry out final testing and certification.
    They all want an on line notification from one of the CPS that one of their registered sparkies has completed a job.
    Anything else is extra work for them, and they don’t have the time.
    Give the LABC a call and see what their view is.
  13. goldenboy

    goldenboy Well-Known Member

    How is £3000 ridiculous labour?

    As mentioned it isnt actually just labour.

    So many additional costs
  14. sparky steve

    sparky steve Member

    First mistake is in your title (DYI) DIY.
    Your second mistake will be you attempting to do this work yourself !
  15. Sparkielev

    Sparkielev Well-Known Member

    Bet you would pay a plumber that though,good luck with it you will realise it hard graft and a skilled job, don't forget to hire you tube as an apprentice
  16. nigel willson

    nigel willson Well-Known Member

    So you know how to design, install ,and test a new installation do you!!! So years of courses and experience don’t count for anything then!!!!!
  17. sospan

    sospan Well-Known Member

    Up to 18 months ago, when i last spoke to the Building Control team. Carmarthenshire building control have never in their recollection ever been asked to sign off any electrical work. As the BCO said, they know there is a lot of DIY electrical work going on but have never received an application and don't have the powers to intervene.
  18. nigel willson

    nigel willson Well-Known Member

    Only a problem when you come to sell the house! Have you had any electrical works carried out to the property?
  19. Vin

    Vin Active Member

    Just to clarify, I done college degree in electrical installations 15 years ago ....

    I’ve never heard of that degree before, which country did you done it in?
  20. nigel willson

    nigel willson Well-Known Member

    Hopefully you mean city and guilds!? Regs have changed since then!

Share This Page