earth bonding

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jack lloyd, Jan 11, 2018.

1. jack lloyd

jack lloyd New Member

ive just changed my externally water pipe from copper to plastic and fitted new stop cock under sink and joined back to copper pipe does this still need earth bonding even though ive put 15 mts off plastic pipe from stop cock in footpath to inside house ..

2. kiaora

kiaora Active Member

Hi
    Best the ask an electrician, but sometimes the Earth is using the water pipe to actually be the earth, !
    I bleave the regs are to run and earth wire, 10mm, from consumer unit to stop tap.

Best ask a sparky

Regards
    Peter

3. jack lloyd

jack lloyd New Member

tx for your reply

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Yes it does if I understand the situation correctly. Youve got copper inside the house. Advise on getting a spark in so they can check your incoming earth is good too.

5. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

The copper would only need main equipotential bonding if it was extraneous and likely to introduce a potential, usually earth potential. It's unlikely it will be extraneous. The copper part of your installation may be extraneous due to how its installed...For example if it's in a solid floor. If there's any doubt then you would have to test it to confirm.

So where Rcp>(Uo/Ib)-Ztl is satisfied then it's not considered to be an extraneous conductive part.

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

OP
    You dont need a test...or an electrician...or to do anything other than just reconnect it to the solid copper....after the stopcock.
    it will 'Bond' the copper pipes within the installation.... as before.
    RS

7. leesparkykent

Why would you bond something that's not extraneous?

8. retiredsparks

He does not know if it is or isnt.
    I assume he is not a sparks.
    It assumed it was bonded before ..maybe not........having re read the post.

"The copper part of your installation may be extraneous due to how its installed...For example if it's in a solid floor. If there's any doubt then you would have to test it to confirm "... your words.

I would suggest that a mass of copper..within the house should be bonded....in case of faults within the installation.... not just earth being introduced.
    But I am sure you know better than I.
    Rs

9. leesparkykent

Yes I think I do. If something isn't providing a potential then it's pointless and potentially dangerous to bond it.

10. retiredsparks

11. Joe95

Joe95 Well-Known Member

I understand the 'pointless' aspect, but in what situation could it become 'potentially dangerous'?

12. leesparkykent

Where there is no additional protection by means of 30mA RCD and adequate supplementary bonding is not in place where required.

13. Joe95

Joe95 Well-Known Member

Ah. So the in the case where there is the possibility of a current appearing on 'earth'.

Makes sense now. Thanks! :)