earth conductor label??????????

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by audi-evo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

hey lads, forget it, me label passed, little bit of sticky white paper with gas and water written on.

2. hey audi that wont stop the banter

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I know, i know,
    here, i'll stir it up a bit more,
    I put the label on the water but the gas ............. no idea, can't remember which earth went to the gas, choice of 3, just stuck it on the middle one ;)

4. well mate what can i say, i have had 3 nic inspections and 2 napit inspections, all looked at CU changes and new earth bonding, not one picked up that the bonding conductors were NOT indentified to there destination.

That must say something

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

The bco was more interested in the glass in the french door than the electrics.
    Never mind, i'm getting my cert so i think they are a great bunch of guys and worth every penny ;)

6. bco know jack **** about electrics!!!!!

7. cheggers

cheggers New Member

why would anyone want to put an external met block in when there is a perfectly good one in the consumer unit.
    I bet your consumer unit looks great with a bloody great earth block next to it. really nice. The only reason that I can come up with you need the work and this is your way of getting it out of the customer.

8. i normally gfit external MET but if you look closley the earth bar in the CU has larger hole for the main 16mm cable and two 10mm cables

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"I bet your consumer unit looks great with a bloody great earth block next to it."
    it's in the cupboard, just shut the door.
    Actually i'm no expert but the guy who changed my cu last year seemed very tidy, looks quite neat to me.

10. cheggers

cheggers New Member

Oh how very 'funny' LD.

I did say it was good working practice. We all know
    that there is an internal bus bar within CU's and
    that this is form terminating the often many cpc of
    the circuits that connect top the CU and related
    MCB's, RCBO's etc.

Maybe you don't bother with good working practice and
    are one of those who 'throw' in CU's without any
    pride in your work, but please don't insist that we
    all have to follow your slovenly ways.

If I recall there is indeed a section of 7671 that
    refers to the proper labelling of main bonds (water,
    gas, water, oil etc) - try and do that inside one of
    your CU internal bus bars.

Me - I will stick to my professional ways LD and you
    stick to your slovenly ways. No problem.

sorry audi I was referring to this quote.

11. roymondo

roymondo Member

I have never labelled each conductor but also agree that it would not hurt, but I looked at the IEE link given earlier, the labelling which it refers to, is the actual label on the earth clamp! LD make note.

12. teebee

teebee New Member

in my extensive experience as a chartered engineer over 30 years in the construction industry bcos know jackshit about anything !!

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"in my extensive experience as a chartered engineer over 30 years in the construction industry bcos know jackshit about anything !!"
    they know how to eat kit-kats and drink coffee ;)
    anyway as i've said, i think the're a great bunch of guys!

14. I have always labelled my earth cables. I put a yellow ring of phase tape round the gas and blue round the water. I always make sure there is the 'safety electrical connection' label fixed there as well.

15. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

I enjoy a good heated debate!

OK so I was in a bad mood yesterday so took it out on LD.

BUT it IS good practice, labelling/identifying which bond wire is connected to which service IS good practice. And the earth block inside a CU is subservient to the MET which I believe should be clearly visible at all times and not need a 'tool' to visually check main bonds.

So MET blocks that all the wholesalers sell are stocked just for a bit of fun then.

I have never ever had any complaints. It is the FUNCTIONALITY and SAFETY that is all important and NOT the appearance when it comes to electrical works.

The world seems to be full of amateur house bashing 5-minute electricians these days, I thought we were one level above bodge it and scarper plumbers. It seems not to be the case.

Apologies to LD, carry on doing your thing and I shall carry on doing mine ;)

16. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Just for the record A SEPARATE MET is NEITHER a
    REQUIREMENT NOR IN PARTICULAR, GOOD PRACTICE.

Is that why it's shown on page 27, 28 and 29 in the OSG ?

17. prosparks

prosparks New Member

I have always labelled my earth cables. I put a
    yellow ring of phase tape round the gas and blue
    round the water. I always make sure there is the
    'safety electrical connection' label fixed there as
    well.

514 04 02 and 514 04 03 anyone ?

"out of the mouths of babes" lol

18. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

One can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

I knew that standards were falling in Olde Blighty but I did not realise just how low they had become.

I suppose it is all to do with becoming more 'European' next we will be told by certain members that it is OK to wire ring final using bell wire like they do in some 3rd World EU country.

19. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

OMG I juts re-read my post! as in "ans Audi and they
    are fgantaiustci cars" s.be as in Audi's and they are
    fantastic cars". Top much beer at lunchtime!

Which one do you have? I have an A3 1.8T Sport. My
    ex-son-in-law works for Mercedes and he used to work
    for Audi and to this day he tells me that Audi are
    the best built cars of any make, and he means ANY.

he sounds like a wise man