Earth issue,

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mike83, Feb 10, 2019.

  1. Mike83

    Mike83 Well-Known Member

    looking for a bit advice.

    Brothers washing machine was playing up so went for a quick look.
    It’s making a lot of noise and he’s not used it since it first occurred.

    Had a look inside but I’m no expert.
    Told him to get an engineer and went to isolate it electrically and by water.

    Anyway when I touched the washing machine isolation valve I got a shock.
    I then checked the taps,pipework and machine chassis. All had 110v.

    With the machine disconnected everything seems fine.

    I know there’s is a serious issue with the machine but I’m more concerned why the fuse board didn’t trip.
    It’s a new build and it’s just outside the 2 year warranty.
    What should be his next course of action?
    Should the builder rectify it.

    Thanks.
     
  2. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    A small leakage to earth should cause the RCD to trip.

    Time to call a sparky to to test and report.
     
  3. Mike83

    Mike83 Well-Known Member

    Do you think the builder should attend?
    Would it be fair to assume the fault has been evident since day 1 or could it be something else.
     
  4. Sparkielev

    Sparkielev Well-Known Member

    Loose earth in the socket could be the problem I'd check that first
     
  5. Mike83

    Mike83 Well-Known Member

    Would that make all the metal pipework and tap live though without tripping?
    Would it not just keep the machine live.
     
  6. seneca

    seneca Screwfix Select

    Sounds like there might be no main earth!
     
  7. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    What's the 110V in relation to? did you measure from the taps to a neutral or another earth? Does seem like a missing main earth or bonding or both.
     
  8. Sparkielev

    Sparkielev Well-Known Member

    Had a similar issue a while back lady was getting shocks off all metal work in the house her brother had wired up a light switch and put the earth in the L2 of the switch and blew the main earth off the MET making all metal work live she was lucky nobody was killed
     
  9. Mike83

    Mike83 Well-Known Member

    I measured from the tap,pipework and washing machine chassis to the earth on another socket on opposite wall.
    I didn’t remove the faceplate I just pushed the multimeter lead into the earth.
    I’m still a bit shocked that the pipework has current on it.
    As soon as the machine is either unplugged or switched off at the wall the current disappears.
     
  10. seneca

    seneca Screwfix Select

    Have you looked at the mec where it leaves the suppliers cut-out or cable and goes into the consumer unit? What earthing arrangement is it, tns or tncs? (or perhaps TT)
     
  11. Mike83

    Mike83 Well-Known Member

    Not got a clue.
    I only had a quick look at the machine incase it was something simple.
    As soon I noticed the fault I just confirmed the machine caused the issue and disconnected it.
    I do plumbing and gas and have had the odd shock or two but this was surprising.
     

Share This Page