Earth leakage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Labrat1984, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Labrat1984

Labrat1984 New Member

OK about a year ago we got an issue where the rcd wouldn't reset

Eventually worked out it was the downstairs socket ring got someone in who after half an hour couldn't work it out said it might be a piched cable removed it from the rcd and left...

Now everyone you touch something metal and something earthed together you got a lovely warm and tingly sensation called electric shock...

Today I had enough and changed every socket in the house to try and solve it. Only to still have the same issues...

In checking the under stairs cupboard I found the light didn't work. OK turns out someone put the light directly into the ring mains.

Re-removed some plugs to find the spur and couldn't. Turns out the last owner boarded up a doorway and put his own sockets in. Tearing one part off I can just about see a choc block connector. Linked to another. To another and so on. It looks like who ever it was completely Re did the ring mains on his own

Is it worth me even attempting to fix this or should I give in and call an expert (not the guy who removed the rcd)

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You really need to have the appropriate test equipment. You may find the cause by chance just by looking but its unlikely. It will probably take more than an hour to solve this and you need a decent spark.

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The guy who removed the RCD was not an electrician, he might have called himself one but he acted in a very cavalier and hazardous manner. You definitely have an earth fault, something you could do yourself to identify the faulty circuit is to turn off all of the breakers and see if you still get a shock, if you do something is very wrong, but I don't expect you to. Rather than touch the live metalwork, use the hated neon screwdriver, test it before and after use on a live terminal.
    Now turn on your breakers one only, at a time and test for live metalwork, when the neon shows live, that's the faulty circuit. Don't stop here, carry on and test the other circuits by turning on the breakers one by one.
    You have been bodged by the previous owner, you need a good competent electrician to sort it out.

4. Labrat1984

Labrat1984 New Member

Will probably call someone once I remove the rest of the boarding and can see the extent of the issue.

Last owners left a lot of issues...

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Wander lead from MET to exposed metal work etc? Check Ze at origin? Maybe its TN-C-S and the DNO's tie down has let loose?

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

If you were bleeding from the eyes....would you try to fix it yourself...or...call in a someone with 15 years training and specializing...in bleeding eyes ?
    Get a grip....and a good sparks in.
    RS

Bazza, Labrat1984 and Risteard like this.
  7. Labrat1984

Labrat1984 New Member

Well it think it's traced down.

There's two options at the moment

1. It's spured off the upstairs socket which has extra cables in... after that he's split it to two plug sockets and a light with connecter blocks

2. He's cut the ring mains between two sockets and spliced everything from there

Testing it later when kids are off Internet and if it's 1 I'm simply removing the spur. If it's 2 then it's proper electrician time...

Edit - yes upstairs socket I forgot that for some reason there's 3 sockets upstairs on the downstairs loop

8. Labrat1984

Labrat1984 New Member

Oh joy it's option 2...

9. Labrat1984

Labrat1984 New Member

just incase anyone is curious about what not to do to a ring main

[​IMG]

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

When you say you get shocks of the metal work, is it only metal cased equipment plugged into the sockets on the dodgy circuit? or is it a general thing like radiators, in fact anything metal in the house giving shocks (not necessarily on dodgy circuit?

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You really need a Sparkie in to test, getting shocks of metalwork isn't a diy fix

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Whilst your photograph does show less than ideal wiring, it doesnt show a real cause of the problems you have been encountering imho, you do need a qualified electrician in to check this out though I reckon.
    'Tingling' isn't good, but can be caused by many things.

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Cant see the photo. Just see IMG in square brackets

14. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Can you see it now Up?.

15. BigD79

BigD79 New Member

Get someone in who knows what they are doing mate! That's a fatality waiting to happen

16. Labrat1984

Labrat1984 New Member

sparky is called...

decided it had gone far beyond what i could deal with

and yes JP its only from exposed metal work of appliances - easiest way to get it is touching dishwasher + draining board together - i tested every single appliance by running it through a plug in circuit breaker so fairly sure its not an appliance

when we thought back on it we have placed the time the fault started to the same week the bulb blew in the understairs cupboard so as thats linked into the mains ring we are fairly certain the fault must be somewhere near there

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Crikey thats not even the correct cable clip ermmmm clipping that mess..:D:D:D:D

18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Please tell us what he finds - with pictures too!

19. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

That will be lack of CPC then!!!!! Wonder where the break is then!?!?!? Or how many there is!?!?!?!

BTW what's a ring main?

Lectrician likes this.
  20. Labrat1984

Labrat1984 New Member

Just my nick name for the socket loop. It was what a tutor called it when I was in school