Earth spike efficiency in drought

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Julian, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Julian

Julian New Member

In the recent dry spell we have had, especially in East, the ground is dry to a considerable depth.

Has anyone got any thought on how well earthing spikes will be 'working' in such dry ground?

J

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Earth spikes resistances vary between times of the year ie in winter(when the ground is damp) the resistance will be very low(providing a good earth) in summer when the ground is dry the resiatance to earth can become very high

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Ironically I think a poor earth may have saved by life, once.

My parents' house has an overhead supply, and when it was built in the '30s it might not have been classed as rural, but it was a bit in the sticks. Probably has a TT supply.

And it's on a hill, and the soil is chalky, and extremely well draining.

Whilst fiddling with an amplifier I was building, I managed to touch the back of a fuseholder with one hand whilst grasping the earthed chassis of the amp with the other.

I can still remember the feeling of the current flowing through my arms, and the way my chest tightened up.....

Who knows? - if Ze had been 2 orders of magnitude less than it probably was, I might never have been here to harangue you all....

4. harry

harry Member

my dad worked on the buses for years and he was a very good conductor.

5. Thermo

Thermo New Member

can you fit a whole orchestra on a bus then???

6. Dr Who

Dr Who New Member

Don't tell me you were trying to get the volume to go to 11 :)

Dr Who

7. supersparky

supersparky New Member

BLOODY ELL!! THIS IS ABOUT THE SAME GRADE OF HUMOR YOU FIND ON CHANNEL4 DAY TIME! (thats my excuse for working anyway)

8. harry

harry Member

you can when three come at once

9. daddy_sparky

daddy_sparky New Member

Well if its a drought then it must be summer, so assuming you are popular enough to have mates round for a barbie and drinking loads of beer just remember to pee on it instead of going to the bathroom and hey presto jobs a good un! Alternatively invite our bunch of professional sparkies round, we'll drink all your tea and we'll pee on it. The second option can be undertaken at any time of year.

If niether of these appeal then get your leccy board into convert you to an underground PME supply.

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yea a leak 4 a fiver and a cuppa...i could get along on that ;)

BR

11. harry

harry Member

sparks peeing on the earth spike,plumbers peeing in the sink-has the world gone mad?

12. supersparky

supersparky New Member

YES, HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED HARRY?

lol

BR

13. harry

harry Member

no,sorry -i'd gone for a pee

14. seylectric

seylectric New Member

If we could get a plumber to install a working loo once in a while there would be no need to pee anywhere else!

15. supersparky

supersparky New Member

in the sink?

16. seylectric

seylectric New Member

What's the betting that his new business cards say "As Seen On TV

17. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yea lol or a 10% deduction if you saw me in action on the TV, im afraid to all other customers, your gunna have to pay full whack for me 2 pee in ur sink
    -NO VAT TILL 1st AUGUST 2003--
    special rates for oap's

18. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Ha ha, or he could start his own website and put it on a sex site in the "bizarre" section! Only $19.99 a month!

LOL. Outta here. Take care!

19. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yOUR TAKIN THE ****< AINT U M8!!!!
    LOL

BR

20. harry

harry Member

i wonder if his boss said 'urine trouble.'