Earthing metal back boxes (again......)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jun 30, 2018.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

B6BC5096-CE1F-4D85-852F-A2769D8FE4FE.jpeg So, a mate of mine who won’t touch the simplest of diy leccie jobs (which is fair enough), asked me to swap over a metal face plate switch for new, the rocker had become ‘gritty’ so time for replacement

Switch was in place few years ago when they moved in, my mate has honestly never touched the wiring

Look at the lash up here with earth wire, neatly terminated to back box, metal faceplate totally not earthed, plastic screw lugs

If it wasn’t dangerous, it would actually be funny :eek:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Thats so bad, wonder what they used to do before there was any earthing on the lighting circuits. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Millions died horribly from electrocution.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shocking!:eek:

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I wonder why AMD 3 ........METAL consumer units 2018...are not required to have a flying lead to the front cover from the earth bar ?
    If it's good enough for the unit in 2018 its good enough for a socket/switch ?
    RS

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I'm trying to stay awake. Isn't there anything more exciting than an earth not quite in the right place?

*Yawn* ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

An exaggeration if ever I've heard one. :D:D

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not stating that the post is interesting in any way but, think uv missed the point here

It’s not as simple as the earth being ‘not quite in the right place’

Back box has 2 plastic lugs and fitted with metal face plate - which therefore has no earth connection to it

Would you be happy with this standard of work bazza ?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, so there’s nothing wrong at all with that instalation then ?

Metal face plate not earthed
    Back box with plastic lugs but earthed

So I’ve wasted my time, even more so as a favour for a mate by removing earth from box and attaching to faceplate

Shock horror - I then wasted even more by attaching a fly lead from faceplate earth to box

Silly me, should have changed over faceplate and left earth as it was as it’s totally acceptable and I’m the one that’s made a mistake

Then given my mate a £60 bill

Sloppy work is an illness, same as condoning it :mad:

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

DIYDave do you by any chance use a fruit phone?, just wondering, I just seem to see loads of pics and vids, here and on FB that are incorrectly rotated by 90`.
    Just an observation, and just curious:)

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep Rulland, exactly that, a mobile telephone device of the apple variety

Just find it easier to both take pics on it (as always in pocket) and then upload from phone to such sites as this

When viewing post on phone, picture always looks correctly orientated, no idea why that happens, I’m not that tech minded

13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I was pulling your leg, its not exactly crime of the century though is it.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Look, I’m only diy me and not trying to be above my station or some kind of smart ***

But yep, as a crime, I would say it’s pretty serious yeah. More than likely done by another diy’er. More than likely simply swapping a plastic face plate for a metal one, hence no problem with earth being parked in back box and correct in that situation

But say with the metal faceplate the line came loose and made contact with faceplate. Now faceplate is live and waiting for someone to touch it

Would that cause the mcb/rcbo or whatever to trip ? I don’t think so, faceplate would remain live

If I’m wrong, will happily admit it

Just find sloppy/dangerous work annoying in all walks of life and trades and you can tell by some of the posts on here, the OP really hasn’t got a clue and actually, giving limited advice remotely from a forum can be dangerous

This is highlighted repeatly on the sparky forum. Posts such as ‘running power from house to my shed’

Yeah it’s all so easy, run a bit of T&E along fence, connect both ends and hey presto, uv got lights and power at sockets - it’s all that easy and simple and totally safe mate

Anyway, I’m out now, family afternoon, have a good day urself mate :)

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Some people use cpc stripped out of the T + E for earth flyers in back boxes

Reg breach

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Which reg is that then?

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Flexible Bond Reg Bazz..aye the flyer should be flexible which equates in most cases to green/yellow 1.5mm stranded. We all know the use of tri rated when indicated..however in the humble back box flyer situation this would be ott and 1.5mm single stranded would be hunky dory.

Sorry but regs are regs at the end of the day, and of course will always be open to interpretation differentials.

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Thanks. I just don’t remember to have seen the word flexible being used.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No probs Bazz - av a nice day m8..:)

20. What did you do in the 70's JP, when 1.5 green singles were solid and not stranded.