Earthing myself !!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by subcomandante marcos, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Computers (PC's) and the CPU's (Central Processor Units)and their other attendant micro chips on their various circuit boards are susceptible to being damaged by static electricity inherent in the human body, is it OK then to "discharge" myself by connecting a wire from myself (i.e. from my wrist) to the Earth socket of a three pin socket (via the Earth pin removed from a plug and pushed into the Earth part of the socket) ??

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

just touch a radiator

3. SnapOnMan

SnapOnMan New Member

Maplin sell a wrist strap that you can connect to the PC's case, an anti-static mat or to a 3 pin plug, which has a push fit stud on the back of it. Or touch a raiator...!

4. RH

RH New Member

The correct way to do it is to use an anti-static wrist strap, they have a few Mohms of resistance built in, so that it's not an additional danger to you if you touch something that's live.

Whenever I'm working on a PC, I keep the mains plug in, so that the chassis is earthed, but make sure that the power is switched off. Then just remember to contact the case before you touch anything else.

I have worked on PC's since the early 80's and never zapped one yet!

5. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

I have a similar method, I run my PC through a RCD socket, with Double Pole Switching, and of course the Fused Connection Unit between RCD and the mains, mentioned in earlier posts.

I turn off FCU and trip out the RCD, and leave the mains lead plugged in to ground the casing from static.

6. sparky (Original)

sparky (Original) New Member