Earthing plastic external backbox

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dilby, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Dilby

Dilby New Member

Hi was hoping someone could help -

I'm sorting out my decking area and the previous owner has installed an external 2 gang socket that is mounted on a fence with some thick (10mm i think) armoured cable running into it. I took it off the fence ( as that part of the fence needed mending) and reinstalling it and have noticed there is no earth lead running from the faceplate to the back box. So there's a Live, neutral and earth all running to their corresponding blocks within the faceplate, but the backbox has it's own block for the earth. On the rare occassion I've done this inside, I would introduce a new connecting piece of wire in it's own earth sleeve to connect both earth blocks, but in this case the box is plastic. So my questions are: 1) Should I change it or is it okay as it is? and 2) How does earthing a backbox work when it's plastic?

Thanks so much!

2. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

It does not need earthing.

3. Dam0n

Dam0n Active Member

as above no need

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

Strange that the terminal is there for a double socket.
    Such terminals are usually found on light switches for parking the Earth conductors.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Uv answered ur own question there with that last sentence :)

I would be more concerned with the socket mounted onto the fence tbh

6. Josh.91

Josh.91 Member

The backbox could well be a generic part. Used for modular lighting etc.

7. Dilby

Dilby New Member

Thanks all, I'll leave it as it is then, just wanted to make sure it was safe. Why is it bad for it to be mounted on the fence? I'm not sure where else I could put it to be honest...

8. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

Fences are considered temporary structures.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

I’m only diy me but as far as I’m aware, fences aren’t considered a good choice for fixing cables and sockets to (don’t know what it actually states in regs)

Fair enough, there’s fences and fences but, if it blows down, will take the electrics with it

There’s other methods, can’t remmwber what they’re called but you could maybe use a spur post, fixed independently to the fence

I’m sure others will advise